• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bloat, Need Of Support!

Leeni

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please tell me some good advice and your experiences on bloat, I desperately need it! I live in Finland and there are not a lot of bloat experience on guinea pigs here. I feel so sad and alone and I am afraid I might lose my Mimmi who I love so much :(.

So: my 5-year old girl Mimmi stopped eating and drinking completely yesterday afternoon. I started syringe feeding immediately (it could have gone on for maybe 3-5 hours before I noticed) and suspected a bloat which came later more evident with tummy filled with gas. Her guts make a little bit of gurgling noises every now and then but not much. The situation has stayed more or less the same for more than 24 hours. We visited vet today and she gave these meds: Ranixal (Ranitidine), Primperan (Metomotyl) and Disflatyl. I already had most of these meds at home so I already had started medication with painkillers, Disflatyl and Metomotyl.

I'm feeding her with Supreme Science Recovery Plus and some pineapple juice which was reccommended and of course water every two hours or so. I've been using quite a watery solution of SSRP because she seemed dehydrated from not drinking on her own. She takes 5-10ml during one session, is this too much?

Also I've been massaging her tummy, she takes it quite well so I suspect she is not in big pain. She is eating from syringe quite well but not much is coming out.. Some very small fairly normal sized poops have been seen but not much. There can be many hours without any poop.

Can bloat cause this severe refusal to eat or drink? She doesn't want to move either. I can get her to move when removing her from the place she likes to rest in to get back in there. Should I make her move or let her rest? She is very lethargic in the cage but more active in my lap, I think she is in surprisingly good condition considering the situation.

And also is this gut stasis or bloat? She is not severely bloated but there is definately a good amount of gas. Can she survive after this long time without improving? She doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain just quite apathetic.

You may find our new bloat guide helpful; I have made it as detailed and practical as possible. Please see your vet for ranitidine and gut stimulants.
Bloat, Gi Stasis ( No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Thank you, Wiebke! I have read the thread through, it is very informational and helpful. And also sounds very familiar! Mimmi has been prescribed ranitidine and gut stimulant (metomotyl/primperan), and is given these three times a day. Can I ask the vet to prescribe also something else?

Thank you, Wiebke! I have read the thread through, it is very informational and helpful. And also sounds very familiar! Mimmi has been prescribed ranitidine and gut stimulant (metomotyl/primperan), and is given these three times a day. Can I ask the vet to prescribe also something else?

A painkiller like metacam (it is produced under a number of brand names). Bloat is very painful.
You can give additionally cooling/cooled antibloating herbal tea or a herbal baby colic preparation.

Fingers very firmly crossed!

Hang on in there. Bloat is very frightening but you can get through this.

The one piece advice I can offer you on top of the above is if you have an electric toothbrush or 'personal massager' try using this on her tummy as well. Gripe water also really helped my Pompom alongside her prescribed meds. And Fibreplex. Ours went on for weeks but adding Fibreplex to the rotation of meds finally polished it off.

I'm sorry that you are going through this. Hopefully within the next few hours your little one will be feeling much better.

Thank you @Mishka and @Wiebke for your support! Mimmi got through the night with meds, massage, vibration and Metacam and is a bit better. There is less gas in her tummy and she has started to poop more. It is mushy, almost diarrhea-like but still poop :nod: . However, she hasn't started eating on her own though she shows signs of interest in food. She doesn't have much appetite but she tries and can get bites out of things (I offered her a tiny piece of cucumber just to see how her chewing movements are) but then just chews it forever. Is this kind of behavior common in bloat?

Because now I'm starting to think if she also has a problem with her jaw. Her teeth were checked thoroughly yesterday and they were perfect except for a tiny discoloration on one of her molars which could be normal due to her age. there were no lumps that could be felt. They didn't take an X-ray yet. I'll call them today to get an appointment again on Monday or today if they have vacancy, which is not likely.

Thank you @Mishka and @Wiebke for your support! Mimmi got through the night with meds, massage, vibration and Metacam and is a bit better. There is less gas in her tummy and she has started to poop more. It is mushy, almost diarrhea-like but still poop :nod: . However, she hasn't started eating on her own though she shows signs of interest in food. She doesn't have much appetite but she tries and can get bites out of things (I offered her a tiny piece of cucumber just to see how her chewing movements are) but then just chews it forever. Is this kind of behavior common in bloat?

Because now I'm starting to think if she also has a problem with her jaw. Her teeth were checked thoroughly yesterday and they were perfect except for a tiny discoloration on one of her molars which could be normal due to her age. there were no lumps that could be felt. They didn't take an X-ray yet. I'll call them today to get an appointment again on Monday or today if they have vacancy, which is not likely.

Please start syringe feeding support to make sure that the guts keep working properly and that Mimmi is getting enough food through her system. This is VERY important! Bloat is painful.
Whether the bloat has come on and has caused issues or whether other issues have contributed to her not eating properly and causing bloat is for your vet to decide. It is your job to make sure that she has the strength and stability in her gut to fight any problems by stepping in with syringe feed and watering.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Please start syringe feeding support to make sure that the guts keep working properly and that Mimmi is getting enough food through her system. This is VERY important! Bloat is painful.
Whether the bloat has come on and has caused issues or whether other issues have contributed to her not eating properly and causing bloat is for your vet to decide. It is your job to make sure that she has the strength and stability in her gut to fight any problems by stepping in with syringe feed and watering.
Thank you yet again, @Wiebke !

Me and Mimmi are trying our very best here. She is still alive and in good strength but she won’t move or eat voluntarily, though I know she can, except some really small pieces. Now her guts have started working again during the night, unfortunately there is also diarrhea half the time. Actually only thing she wants to eat is paper towels :mal: (she sits on top of one when feeding her because of the upset tummy) .. i think it’s because of the fibre, but I’m feeding her lots of fibre already so I don’t think she is deprived. I’m feeding her cage mates’ poop alongside meds, (also metacam twice a say) and support. She is real champion eating the support food so I’m happy about that.
We have vet appointment tomorrow. I’m still hoping she could start eating. It’s been almost 78 hours.

Keep going, it's tough but you will get there. My little one had 2 bouts of bloat/stasis last week and no they won't want to eat, little and often syringe fed.

Thank you yet again, @Wiebke !

Me and Mimmi are trying our very best here. She is still alive and in good strength but she won’t move or eat voluntarily, though I know she can, except some really small pieces. Now her guts have started working again during the night, unfortunately there is also diarrhea half the time. Actually only thing she wants to eat is paper towels :mal: (she sits on top of one when feeding her because of the upset tummy) .. i think it’s because of the fibre, but I’m feeding her lots of fibre already so I don’t think she is deprived. I’m feeding her cage mates’ poop alongside meds, (also metacam twice a say) and support. She is real champion eating the support food so I’m happy about that.
We have vet appointment tomorrow. I’m still hoping she could start eating. It’s been almost 78 hours.

Hi! your girl's guts have derailed and she is still in major discomfort.

Guinea pigs crave very rough fibre when this happens; offer her some brown cardboard. Make sure that you give her plenty of probiotics or, if you can get hold of it, a course of fibreplex. Do not feed her any fresh food until her guts have firmed up. if the guts have slowed down/suffered partial GI stasis, this can take a few days.
If you have got another healthy guinea pig, you can also feed her poo soup by soaking healthy fresh poos in a little water and then syringing the water. Even the discarded poos contain enough of the "right" stuff.
Guinea pigs normally digest their food twice. You may have noticed that they eat a special variety of poos which they pick straight from their genitalia at some times. These so called caecotrophs are then run through the digestive system again to get the maximum amount of nutrition out of the fibrous food. If you guinea pig has got a tummy upset of some sort or other, this does not happen. hence the craving for other piggies' caecotrophs and rough fibre. ;)

Hi! your girl's guts have derailed and she is still in major discomfort.

Guinea pigs crave very rough fibre when this happens; offer her some brown cardboard. Make sure that you give her plenty of probiotics or, if you can get hold of it, a course of fibreplex. Do not feed her any fresh food until her guts have firmed up. if the guts have slowed down/suffered partial GI stasis, this can take a few days.
If you have got another healthy guinea pig, you can also feed her poo soup by soaking healthy fresh poos in a little water and then syringing the water. Even the discarded poos contain enough of the "right" stuff.
Guinea pigs normally digest their food twice. You may have noticed that they eat a special variety of poos which they pick straight from their genitalia at some times. These so called caecotrophs are then run through the digestive system again to get the maximum amount of nutrition out of the fibrous food. If you guinea pig has got a tummy upset of some sort or other, this does not happen. hence the craving for other piggies' caecotrophs and rough fibre. ;)
I tried all day to get Fibreplex but I have to wait a couple of days to get it.. but I have ordered it and will have it ready next time if this happens again or continues longer.

I have fed Mimmi probiotics plus healthy poo for two days now and also gave her cardboard to chew. I don’t know which did the trick but her poop is much better now and there is lots of it! AND she started to nibble some bits of hay just now! I’m so happy but I know we are not out of the woods yet so I’ll keep the feeding routine and meds going and hope she will continue getting better. Metacam seems to help her quite a bit too. Thank you so much for the help!

I tried all day to get Fibreplex but I have to wait a couple of days to get it.. but I have ordered it and will have it ready next time if this happens again or continues longer.

I have fed Mimmi probiotics plus healthy poo for two days now and also gave her cardboard to chew. I don’t know which did the trick but her poop is much better now and there is lots of it! AND she started to nibble some bits of hay just now! I’m so happy but I know we are not out of the woods yet so I’ll keep the feeding routine and meds going and hope she will continue getting better. Metacam seems to help her quite a bit too. Thank you so much for the help!

Bloat is a protracted battle, but it is great that things are very much moving in the right direction! You are doing all the right things.

An update: Mimmi is feeling much better! Today is the first day she has been able to hold her grams on her own without support feeding and is almost back to her normal happy self :)! It took us 12 days and it felt like hundred years but I hope that now we are slowly getting there. There is still a possibility of an ulcer, so she is still on Ranixal and getting vitamin E for her liver but otherwise is medication free already.

The weird thing is her urine started to change its color yesterday from normal into orange->red->brown. I tested it, there is no blood in it. It looks like ecxactly the same thing that happened to Tyllerö after a stone got stuck in her urinal tract.. Maybe it's because her body has been under a lot of stress?

An update: Mimmi is feeling much better! Today is the first day she has been able to hold her grams on her own without support feeding and is almost back to her normal happy self :)! It took us 12 days and it felt like hundred years but I hope that now we are slowly getting there. There is still a possibility of an ulcer, so she is still on Ranixal and getting vitamin E for her liver but otherwise is medication free already.

The weird thing is her urine started to change its color yesterday from normal into orange->red->brown. I tested it, there is no blood in it. It looks like ecxactly the same thing that happened to Tyllerö after a stone got stuck in her urinal tract.. Maybe it's because her body has been under a lot of stress?

great news, you have done her proud! Sending contiued love and vibes

As to the wee guinea lynx says
"NORMAL:
Urine may be clear to cloudy in color. Calcium compounds in the urine cause this cloudiness. Normal urine is not gritty in texture. Dried urine may leave powdery white calcium compounds. Very young guinea pigs often have an orange or brown tint to their urine. Urine sometimes changes to an orange color on standing (this may be the oxidation of porphyrins in the urine)." Here is the link scroll down to urine.

Guinea Lynx :: What's Normal?

That is wonderful news! It can be such a protracted battle. :(
Please do not let down your guard completely over the next few weeks.

Is her urine clear when it leaves the body or is coloured? If it is clear but oxidises very strongly, then it is likely down to bacteria flourishing in her bladder that are normally being kept under control by a fully functional immune system. it is not the fecal bacteria that cause UTI, but a different variety. It is not uncommon after problems, like stones or major infections in the urinary tract; it is much rarer following other problems.

That is wonderful news! It can be such a protracted battle. :(
Please do not let down your guard completely over the next few weeks.

Is her urine clear when it leaves the body or is coloured? If it is clear but oxidises very strongly, then it is likely down to bacteria flourishing in her bladder that are normally being kept under control by a fully functional immune system. it is not the fecal bacteria that cause UTI, but a different variety. It is not uncommon after problems, like stones or major infections in the urinary tract; it is much rarer following other problems.
Yes, it’s clear to begin with but starts to change color after standing a few minutes. Tyllerö had the very same for several months but nothing could be found in the urine except there were color pigments when the vet looked at it with microscope.. it has been gone for a few months now. We tried a long mild course of antibiotics to it too but nothing made a difference. It only started a few weeks after her stone episode. Tyllerö was feeling fine all the time when this was happening.

I’ll keep a close eye on Mimmi and if I see her in any discomfort while weeing or losing weight I’ll take her to vet’s.

Back