• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bloat

Chewy6

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya, My guinea pig Chewy is 6 years old. Over a few days I noticed she had a few signs of bloat or build up of gas. Her stomach was a little distended and if I held her to my ear I could hear a few gurgles. I then took her to the vet and in my local area The vet litterly told me to go somewhere else as she did not know enough about guinea pigs😟 I proceeded to take her to a different vet and they confirmed bloat and they put her on baytril. Does this sound right for bloat? I'm wondering cause I quite honestly don’t trust my local vets as I have a few run downs in the past. I hoping this is a mild case of bloat as chewy is still eating, drinking and doing regular poos. or does it progress slowly and get worse. I have had piggies for 12 years but never had a problem with bloat or gas.
Thank you and let me know what you think.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear your piggy is unwell.

Hearing gurgles is normal. I’m afraid baytril is not right for bloat. Baytril is an antibiotic. You need cisapride or emeprid, and also a pain killer (metacam)
Bloat can come in waves and it is a very serious issue, so if you could try to find another vet it would be a very good idea.
Have been weighing her daily while she has been ill? If not, please do so. It is the only way to know she is in fact eating enough hay. If there has been weight loss then she isn’t eating as much as you think, you can’t gauge hay intake by eye and you need to step in with syringe feeding. Please take her off of all fresh veg and grass as well.

I’ll add in a guide below which will help you with further information

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Last edited:

Chewy6

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you both! I had a feeling about that! Its very fustrating when you cant even trust a vet! A lot of vets in my area are not small animal specialized. I will be searching now for a vet! Thank you!

Chewy6

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya.
Kind of an update. So I went to another vet and i was given metacam, a probiotic and daily injections of metacloprimide. So only a few days in and I'm also give Tummy massages 3 times a day. Some with an electric toothbrush and some without. Chewy is still eating her nuggets as ive been counting them and shes been eating some forage aswell. Also she is eating her hay. She still seems bloating as when I tap on side of her tummy it is still a hallow sound.
With gassy bloat does a piggie lose weight?
I ask this as I have been weighing her daily and she has lost around 10g.
Thank you everyone.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m glad you’ve been able to get to another vet.
10g weight loss in a 24 hour period isn’t in itself concerning - that only constitutes a normal daily fluctuation. If however it is part of a continual downward trend, then it means she isn’t eating enough hay.

Chewy6

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks for your fast reply.
Does everything else sound right? Or is there anything I can do? Just worried and want to try everything humanly possible to help her.