• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bloated guinea pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello all, I just need a bit of advice. My guinea pig has been on antibiotics for the past week. I have come home from work today and she seems really bloated. She is eating but has soft poo. I have given her some hay which she is eating. I was just wondering if this is anything serious or if she just has a bit of an upset tummy. Thanks for any advice you can give me, am just a bit worried about her bloated tummy.

Is her belly tight, painful and hollow sounding when you tap it? Then you need to see a vet asap - that is a matter of life an death!

Hi, have just had a good feel and it's not tight and she is letting me have a feel, she doesn't seem in any pain. I have been giving her cucumber to keep her fluids up, do you think this could be making her poo worse?

have you been giving her probiotics along with her antibiotics because piggies do really need them to keep their gut healthy i would say call the vet and get her seen as its better to be safe then sorry.

Thanks all for your comments. The vet did not give me anything other than her Antibiotics, I know it sounds disgusting but should I feed her some fresh poo from one of my healthy pigs?

Sorry she has an appointment at vet tomorrow, just wondered if there is anything I can do for her tonight :)

How is she this morning?

Poop from a healthy pig is a suitable probiotic, yes. Probiotics tend to be best given an hour or two after the antibiotic.

The bloat could be due to the antibiotics, digestive upsets are common especially with Baytril. What has she had to eat in the past 24 hrs? Just wondering if anything in the diet could have contributed as well.

Hi all, sorry for the delay in my reply, I have been ill myself! Chewy is much better, it was due to her antibiotics, the vet said some guinea pigs have an intolerance to antibiotics and it can cause an upset tummy. She is back to her normal naughty self now :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back