• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood clots passed. Help!

KLY

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I am very worried about my Guinea pig Cleo at the moment. Last night she passed a clot and I immediately phoned the out of hours vet for advice. I sent a pic of the clot to them. However, she was acting normal, eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing, however her pee was a little red stained. The vets said they weren't overly concerned because she was still at he normal. I checked on her every 2 hours overnight and she passed the odd clot but was still bright. The vet said to make an appointment in the morning asap to get checked over.

However this morning she has stopped eating and is hunched in the corner of her cage. I am up and ready to phone the vets as they open in 30 minutes.

Now she is 5 years old. I rescued her when she was 3 and I don't know if I want to put her through surgery at her age as my last pig Flora died on the operating table at 5 years old.

Any advice please? I don't want her suffering that's for sure but I want to give her the best chance at it.

Devastated is an understatement. My 7.5 year old pig Fauna was diagnosed with an abdominal tumours month and is on palliative meds and now this.

Thank you.

Just seen your post. You have done everything right but she does need to be seen by your vets today as early as possible to find the cause of the bleeding (could be from urinary tract or genital tract) and to see what the cause of the problem is.
With a hands on exam the vets should be able to give you a clearer idea of what the problem is, whether it is curable or treatable and then to discuss options with you. But most of all, they can give her some pain relief. In the meantime while you are waiting to see the vet if you have any metacam or similar I would be tempted to give her some to help her with pain. And if you can, I would try to give her a syringe feed.

Here are some helpful links to guides.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Please go gently with yourself. You clearly aren’t to blame, but guinea pig problems are like buses and tend to all come at once. Please let us know how you get on later.

I have everything crossed for you and Cleo.
You are clearly a very caring and commited owner and are doing everything possible for your girl.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the well wishes. They have kept her in the vet just now and I've been waiting on a phonecall since 9am this morning. You can imagine my anxiety over waiting 😣
But I know she is in good hands!

So a lot happened yesterday. She had bladder stones so they put her under an anesthetic to remove the one at her bottom. The vet says she was recovering well but she was sleepy so was able to go home and rest. I brought her home and she was put in her bed. We checked on her frequently but wanted to give her peace and quiet. However when I went to check on her she had died. I'm totally heartbroken as it was soo sudden. 💔 took her to the out of hours vet last night for cremation. Fauna is ok. She's pretty much an old solitary pig and doesn't mind being on her own but I'll monitor her for loneliness. She is dying too (tumour in her stomach) and is on palliative meds so giving her much more attention (to her disgust).

Thanks for the well wishes.

So sorry for your loss. Guinea pigs hide illness so well, as they are prey animals, often until it's too late to do anything about it. As soon as you noticed something was amiss you took her straight to the vet. You did all you could.

Thank you all. It was soo sudden and unexpected. I'm sad. Very sad. Never does loss get any better. I just hope she wasn't aware of what was happening. All I can picture is her lifeless body and what once was pink feet and a pink nose was now white.

Thanks all. Stay safe.

How very sad. So sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for Cleo. RIP little one.♥️

Back