• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood In Alby's Urine ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
:no:Alby has got blood in his Urine, it was like little specks of blood. I checked his privates today before the vets and he had a sperm rod :vom:. It stank. (I removed it) He's peeing more and it is very smelly. The vet gave him injections of Metacam and Marbocyl. (He squealed LOUDLY. ) She says It will last 3 days and if there isn't any improvement or a decline I have to bring him back amd they will either give him more antibiotics or an x ray to look for bladder stones. He was examined thoroughly and she felt his bladder and couldn't feel any stones checked his privates too incase of any injuries.
When I got him home and in his cage he peed and it was a light pinky peach colour. I hope my wee Alby bee. Is ok. Also she thinks he's definately older than 3yrs maybe nearer 5.

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
He seems to be ok in himself though. Still eating and drinking, not lost weight. She weighed him too. Lol and he promptly ran along the scales. Ha ha.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope that you boy is making a quick recovery!

Give him some mildly diuretic veg like cucumber, lettuce or grass (not too much to cause soft poos) to help flush out the bladder and the infection.

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Ahh ok thanks I will pick up some cucumber when I am out. I've given them some celery just now. Just hope it's a mild infection that's treatable. I know I've only had these boys a short time but I am so loved up about them. Even if they are cheeky boys. Lol.

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor Alby! I hope he makes a quick recovery! It's great that he is still eating and drinking and behaving normally... Sundae is a trooper in dealing with UTIs and has always bounced back very well as she never stops eating and drinking because of them. I hope Alby is back to normal in no time!

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks all. I think he's a bit better today. As he's discovered there is a gap in the slidebinders and decided to eat the corex. :doh: Still little spots of blood but looks a lot less than yesterday. :tu:

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Well today the white towel is in the cage. So I can monitor the bleeding better. And well someone has decided not to pee on the nice white towel and is in his hay tray peeing. :doh: I give up. However on the plus side I can't see any blood on the towel so far :tu: He is sitting a bit fluffed up however. But so is fudge so maybe just cold.

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Your little one sounds like he's doing much better already. The smell is very indicative of infection, my girl Peb's had a really nasty UTI and smelled fowl. Hopefully the antibiotic's will clear it up quickly, good sign that there isn't any visible blood anymore. I would definitely get him an Xray if the blood doesn't clear completely.

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Yes it did stink and definitely getting an x ray if he didn't improve.

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Well Alby is looking a lot more perky. He was even squeaking again for his night night hay (Fresh hay at bedtime) however I am going to phone the vet in the morning for advice as he is still peeing lots (stinky) and there was a teeny tiny
spot of blood in the cage tonight on the towel. I am not sure if he's needing more anti biotics to clear it totally. I know I have upped his amd fudges watery veg so this May account for the peeing however I am concerned about the blood not being totally gone. And I am away to hotel on Friday for a treat and off to visit family in Oban on sun to Thursday. (Mother in law is piggy sitting)

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Alby had another 2 injections today. He was not impressed one little bit :box: However he's looking much better. And only a tiny spot of blood now. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.