• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood In Pee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louise C

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello

I noticed one of my guinea pigs has blood in his pee. I'm unsure as to weather it is Badger or Alfie.
I plan on putting each one on a towel for 20 mins to see if I can find out which one it is, but my question is do I need to contact the out of hours vets today or can I contact the vets tomorrow and get an appointment?
I have some baytril from Alfie's URI which he had from September, should i use that until i can see the vet tomorrow?

Pippy & Daisy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds like a UTI or stones. I'd try and get to the vets today if you can because either way he'll be in pain. If you can't see anymore blood watch to see if either of them look to be in pain when they pee - when my Daisy had first UTI she'd arch up and squeak when it hurt her. Also check if either of them refuses to eat or is otherwise behaving unusually. I was prescribed baytril for Daisy but I'm not sure I'd advise just giving it without checking with a vet. If you can't get to the out of hours vet today maybe try and call them and ask if you should give some baytril. I'm not sure how stones are treated so baytril mightn't help if that's what it is. I actually had a pretty bad experience with an emergency vet when I first noticed blood in Daisy's wee so I'd always prefer to see her regular vet if possible, so if you know you can trust your regular vet it's probably safe to wait until tomorrow. In saying that, if either of them are in pain I'd definitely try to get them in today so you can get a diagnosis and some pain relief.

My advice would probably be to at least call the out of hours vet today and see what they say, but definitely get to a vet by tomorrow. Hope Badger or Alfie feel better soon :)

Louise C

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you, I will phone the out of hours vets right away and see what they say. They are both eating and drinking fine and behaving normally.

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Just answered on The GPC on Facebook, if you can collect the wee in a container then you can take it to the vets to be tested. It is most likely a UTI and Septrin would be the most effective antibiotic. If the UTI doesn't clear up then the next step is an xray or scan to check for stones. I would say tomorrow is ok unless you see signs of them squeaking in pain when urinating, in which case he will need to vet today for pain relief.

Pippy & Daisy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Glad to hear they're both acting normally, you seem to have noticed it very quickly so it should be pretty easy to fix! Let us know how it goes once you've seen a vet :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello

I noticed one of my guinea pigs has blood in his pee. I'm unsure as to weather it is Badger or Alfie.
I plan on putting each one on a towel for 20 mins to see if I can find out which one it is, but my question is do I need to contact the out of hours vets today or can I contact the vets tomorrow and get an appointment?
I have some baytril from Alfie's URI which he had from September, should i use that until i can see the vet tomorrow?
You can wait until tomorrow. Take both Boys, they are less stressed out with Company anyway. A vet can express the bladder and quickly test the urine for traces of blood, crsytals and higher Protein Levels (signs of an infection). it is likely a urinary tract infection or at the worst a stone/sludge problem.

Please aks your vet for a painkiller/anti-inflammatory as well as some probiotic if you are most likely given an antibiotic, to help boost the guts. Many antibiotics can dampen or even kill the appetite. Weigh your Boys daily at the same time.

See a vet again if your Boy is stopping to eat (and start Hand feeding asap) or if the symptoms are not going down within 2-3 days.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...vitamin-c-overview-with-product-links.115404/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/
http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

Status
Not open for further replies.