• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood in urine

peppermintSmoothie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This morning we noticed blood on the fleece and kept a close eye all day gave extra cucumber to flush him through. Drinking as usual as well. Normal eating and healthy poop no unusual behaviour though havent witnessed him urinating to see if it's painful he's never been a vocal pig and haven't heard any squeaking today. Checked where he was sleeping every hour or so all clear until this evening there was some on the pee pads.

Obviously first thing tomorrow will be a visit to the vets but does anyone have any ideas if it was UTI there would be frequent urinating? Is it more likely to be bladder stones - I'm quite careful with calcium rich foods only as a treat.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Attachments

• 69E62198-84DB-4A46-AC20-A920265E07AD.jpeg
    69E62198-84DB-4A46-AC20-A920265E07AD.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 5DA394BF-E0FB-4D73-BBEB-E1BE01ADFD87.jpeg
    5DA394BF-E0FB-4D73-BBEB-E1BE01ADFD87.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2FE883BE-CD0E-48E7-A2C1-8FC459F95CD6.jpeg
    2FE883BE-CD0E-48E7-A2C1-8FC459F95CD6.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 14
I’ve no idea but it’s good you’ve got him an appointment so soon. Start weighing him daily at the same time and step in with top ups if needs be. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

This morning we noticed blood on the fleece and kept a close eye all day gave extra cucumber to flush him through. Drinking as usual as well. Normal eating and healthy poop no unusual behaviour though havent witnessed him urinating to see if it's painful he's never been a vocal pig and haven't heard any squeaking today. Checked where he was sleeping every hour or so all clear until this evening there was some on the pee pads.

Obviously first thing tomorrow will be a visit to the vets but does anyone have any ideas if it was UTI there would be frequent urinating? Is it more likely to be bladder stones - I'm quite careful with calcium rich foods only as a treat.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Hi!

Deep red porphyrine coloured pees like yours are typical for the onset of a UTI or a bacterial or sterile interstitial (i.e. antibiotic resistant recurring) cystitis. Symptoms can take several days to up to a week to solidify so it will be very on and off with clear and coloured pees (either may or may not test high for blood content) switching between them; the screaming when peeing also takes some time to get going. The same goes for any other symptoms.

Please see a vet during regular opening hours some time this coming week at your own convenience. See a vet more quickly if he is suddenly very unwell, looking off, not eating and apathetic - in this case you are most likely dealing with a stone flushed into the urethra, which is an emergency as it can block the flow of urine. But it is fairly unlikely; just something you need to be aware of.

Thank you @Wiebke was wondering about if every pee would be bloody or not. He has just peed on me (pee pad!) and seemed all clear no pain urinating hopefully we can flush him through with cucumber as well as whatever the vet gives him. he drinks a lot anyway.

He's been given metacam and baytril vet said likely UTI but if it doesn't clear up go back in a few days. He's also lost weight so I've started separating them at meal times to monitor how much he's eating but he's a slow eater so I've decided to feed them half veggies in morning half at night any other tips on fattening him up? His appetite hasn't decreased at all

He's been given metacam and baytril vet said likely UTI but if it doesn't clear up go back in a few days. He's also lost weight so I've started separating them at meal times to monitor how much he's eating but he's a slow eater so I've decided to feed them half veggies in morning half at night any other tips on fattening him up? His appetite hasn't decreased at all

Hay is the biggest part of their diet so if he is losing weight then it’s because he isn’t eating enough hay (not veg or pellets as they only make it the smallest portion of the diet). If he is losing weight he needs to be syringe fed to replace the hay he is not eating. Separating him for veg and pellets won’t help weight gain as jointly only makes up 20% of the daily food intake

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Ah ok! He does eat a lot of hay - I buy this stuff:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MRFSJ1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0lZvFbQK8P9KT

When you say syringe feed do you mean feed him something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004W7511K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AnZvFbS68VJBY

You can’t judge hay intake by eye so he may look like he is eating it but the fact he is losing weight means he isn’t eating enough.

Yes critical care or just use normal mushed up pellets. Often piggies prefer mushed pellets as the taste is familiar to them

Hi there I just thought I would post an update here on Arthur. It's been over a week and there is still blood in his urine he's still eating and drinking on his own and generally being himself - a little slow but he's an old boy now.

I've been trying to get him to gain weight tried critical care a few times though most went down me. Have tried a sprinkle of oats on his breakfast too - I also now just dump the hay in the cage instead of the hay rack since it makes him eat more that way.

He's going back to the vets this afternoon she had said if he didn't get better that she would probably take x-rays and bloods as it could be bladder stones. I don't think I would want him having an anaesthetic for an x-ray. Can they do it without?

Glad to hear you haven’t seen anymore blood in his urine. Some vets do x-rays without anaesthetic but it depends on the vet. When one of my pigs had an X-ray they only gave him a very small amount just to make him a bit sleepy and easier to move as they had to X-ray his heart and lungs but speak to your vet and see what they suggest. Hope he feels better soon!

Hi apricot13,
Sorry to hear that your Arthur has an UTI/bladder stones. I don't think he'll need anaesthetic to have the x-ray done; at least my Berta didn't when she had one of her kidneys and ovaries last year. If I were you, I'd tell the vet that I would prefer it done without, just to be on the safe side.
Hopefully Arthur will make a full and speedy recovery once you figure out what the problem is. Best of luck to you both until then!

Back