• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood In Wee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

span

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all

I had a horrible fright Monday when cleaning out the guins as I found what looked like a massive pool of bright red blood on the wee mat under Six and Athy's fleece - none was on the actual fleece itself, so it must have been quite watery to be wicked through.

I checked them both over and there wasn't anything obvious, they even both weed on me while we had a cuddle and there was no blood. I took them both for a trip to the vet yesterday and she gave them a once over - Athy weed on the table bless her and it was clear, so the vet was certain it wasn't her. So she said to monitor Six, but basically, I got the impression she wasn't convinced it was anything at all. Since the cage clean, I've been checking their cage constantly and nothing. But I can't believe there could be so much of what looked like blood and for everything to be fine.

What do you think? Get a second opinion? Without 'proof' of the blood, it's hard for my vet to understand! Thanks xx

It could have been staining from some veg. Have they eaten anything different lately?

The vet can also do a 'dip test' where they test the wee for blood. My bladder stone boy gets it done regularly when he goes for a check up on his sludge/stone problems. There's never anything visible in the wee, but he usually has a tiny tiny trace of blood.

Do they squeak when weeing? That can be a sign of an infection.

Please be careful where blood is concerned in sows, not trying to scare you or anything, just sharing my experience, we adopted 4 sows last year, one came to us with a bloated tummy (the rescue never even bothered to get it checked out) and the vet didn't take it at all seriously, we started seeing blood in the cage but just like you couldn't figure who was doing it even when we split them as it didn't happen often, sadly we lost the one with the bloated tummy (Badger) in February, we had to have her put to sleep because her body was shutting down, we didn't even notice she had lost weight because of her stomach being bloated, all I noticed was she was being a bit snippy the week before... we believe she had ovarian cysts.

Like I said... I'm not saying that is what is wrong with yours, I'm just saying to be careful where blood is concerned, as @Jaycey said if you notice them squeaking when going to the toilet it could be a infection or something along those lines.

There's nothing obvious I can think of with regards to diet change. And the only things they eat that aren't green are red pepper which they are well used to and tomato once a week at most.

We haven't heard any squeaking from Athy, but Six is more discreet when he wees so it would be harder to notice.

Athy is spayed so she won't have ovarian cysts, but how could I tell about the bloat? Her tummy isn't obviously swollen, but she does have a bit of guinea podge... Are there other signs? So sorry to hear about Badger xx

Maybe worth to put your mind at rest feeding Six some watery veg and popping her in a washing up bowl and wait for nature to take is course... you can check for any crying this way too - that way you can rule it out.

If it were an infection/stones I would have expected to have found more blood by now

Try not to worry too much and keep a close eye x

If pig is bloated you should be able to hear a hollow sound when you tap her sides (if it's gas bloat, at least) :) I would be tempted to put my mind at rest like @sport_billy said, with the washing up bowl :)
I might take a while though - I took Joe to the CCT not long ago, and we were waiting for him to wee so we could test it. He held it in for ages, little monster XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back