• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood Tinged Urine

KathT

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I have a young boar I’ve had for just over a week and have noticed that his urine is slightly red - which I’m presuming is blood. I have an appointment to see the vet but would be grateful for any ideas to what this could be, just to prepare me. He is about 4 months old, is fine otherwise, eating and drinking, popcorning and skittering about all over! He is a companion to an older boar who has just lost his friend and they are getting on fine. Is it likely to be a kidney problem? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Urine can oxidise to a brownish red colour when it dries so hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

But the vet will be able to test the urine for you to see if it is blood.

Peeing blood can be a sign of a urinary tract infection or an indication of a bladder stone. I'd see what the vet confirms first before altering his diet.

Hope all goes well at the vet and this proves to be nothing serious.
Keep us posted.

Spoke to the vet (over the phone) who said it can be normal for some pigs to have this darker urine. I have to keep an eye on him and should his demeanour change in any way or the urine become brighter red (as in fresh blood) then I have to take him immediately. Not sure I like this over the phone consultation but she didn’t want me to waste money and a visit for something that might be normal. Will keep a close eye on him and whizz him off should anything change! Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

If you're worried then go to the vet, otherwise do as they said and keep an eye on him.
It depends on how confident you feel about the situation.

If you want to do a home test for blood in the meantime, get hold of some hydrogen peroxide and dab a bit onto the urine, if it bubbles then there is blood in it. Hope this helps, sending lots of healing vibes!

Thanks for your support, it’s really appreciated. He seems fine and is putting weight on etc so I will keep an eye on him for now. Thanks for the blood test tip - I’ll give that a go if I can get some hydrogen peroxide - would I get it from the chemists?

Back