• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bloody Poop and spotting

jasminerai99

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi today my guinea pig had some blood in her poop so i immediately took her to the vet and they said that she has a parasite in her intestines, so they put her on medication for 10 days and she is separated from her sister and she also goes to the vet tomorrow to get checked, she is still having some blood in her poop and barley eating. Has anyone else had this happen to there piggy before?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How was intestinal parasites confirmed? Was something visible in the poop for example?

To my knowledge its not something which is very common in the UK. It happens, but it’s not something I’ve experienced or seen anybody ask for help on here before.
I’m not sure of the benefit in separating her from her sister on this occasion. Generally the advice is don’t separate piggies due to the stress it causes them and the fact that both piggies have usually already been exposed to the illness, but as I don’t have experience of this I’m not sure if separating is warranted on this occasion.
However, if she isn’t eating then she needs to be support fed. The guides below will help you. You will need to switch from weighing her weekly to weighing her daily to ensure she is getting enough food.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

@PigglePuggle @Wiebke

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but this is more @PigglePuggle 's area of expertise. Intestinal parasites are pretty rare so we haven't got much experience in this area.
I would however strongly recommend to contact your vets again if their treatment hasn't worked.

However, you always need to support feed any guinea pig that is not eating and switch from weighing once weekly to a daily weigh-in at the same time in the feeding cycle. Keep in mind that around 80% of the food intake is hay/grass fibre, which you cannot control by eye; veg (ca. 50g/2 oz) and 15 ml of pellets per piggy per day (1 tablespoon or 1/8 cup) are more in the way of a daily snack. You can improvise with mushed up pellets at first but need to cut off the tip of your syringe just below where it widense to allow fibre to be pushed out while still stopping th plunger. In the longer term a timothy hay based recovery formula will support the beleaguered gut better. It is also abrasive silica in the hay that is responsible for grinding down the crucial back teeth. Your feeding care in order to keep your piggy going is as important as any medication since medication cannot get to work if your piggy is running out of gas.
Our emergency care guide has all the information on what you can do with what you have at home or easily available until any ordered products arrive, as well as a product overview. Here is the link: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi, in the UK intestinal parasites are very rare in guinea pigs, please can you tell us what parasite your guinea pig has been diagnosed with? And how this diagnosis was performed? And which treatment your guinea pig has been given? Most gastrointestinal parasites should not really cause bloody poops as they do not generally damage the gut lining unless there is a very heavy infection and the gut becomes blocked... the main exception to this might be hookworms but these are very species specific and I do not think their is one that can live in rodents? Please give us more details, then I can search the veterinary literature for you and advise further!