• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bluebell Hideaway

Vickysows

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Bluebell hideaway for their piggys? I’ve had mine about a year and they will not go down the ramp. I have put a tube on it, carpet on it put food coming down it but they will not go down only up. I have now blocked it off but feel like them piggy’s are missing out with only half a hutch. Any ideas?

I got a fleece tunnel from ziggys piggies, it is an extra long tunnel. I sewed Velcro onto it and stuck it to the back wall so it’s securely fastened.
I lined tunnel with cucumber and it didn’t take them long to figure it out and find the top floor, now they zoom up,and down x

I’ve got the same hutch and my boys zoom up and down the ramp like a raceway!
I have secured a strip of vetfleece on the ramp itself. I have not put any side on the ramp itself though as they are absolutely fine with it but I have put a piece of wood across the the top floor along the opening to the ramp as that is a massive hole and drop down.
I was worried that the ramp was too steep (as I say though mine haven’t minded it at all) so maybe that could be part of the problem for yours?

Attachments

• DFAC74C9-30FD-4F68-ACF4-C487AC60A4B8.jpeg
    DFAC74C9-30FD-4F68-ACF4-C487AC60A4B8.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 17
I used a brick to prop the ramp up to lessen the steepness while they were smaller and put a plastic stretch tube for them to get up and down. When they were bigger I used square guttering with carpet attached for grip.

I kind of lifted them up and down it to begin with, with treats on the way.

I put a treat on the first step down and then put the piggy onto that step, and they would scramble back up on their own. After a few days of this I would move down to the second step.

I'd do the same from the bottom up. I know it sounds tortuously slow, but it's worth it because they hate change and it really did work. Now they charge up and down like anything.

I would try to put their favorite veggies and fruits on both levels.

Ok thank peeps. I might try the brick ideal to make it less steep and yes the hole is huge. I was thinking of putting some edges on it as they have fallen down a couple of time 😔

Could you guys possibly send some pics of your ramps in your blue bell hutches so I can have a look?

I’ve put a strip of wood along the back of the top floor by the ramp hole.
Then I’ve put a large kitchen / bathroom tile over it to make more top floor area and to lessen the hole / drop potential. (
An 18 can kronenbourg box with two doors cut out of the side fits perfectly!)
I used to use 3x fleece tunnels clipped together on the ramp and they zoomed up and down it ok.
But I found they were peeing in it and making a right mess.
I’ve since lined the ramp with removeable carpet and they’re done with the change after a while.

Oh yeah we installed a banister on the top floor too in case anyone feel off the edge!

Back