Boar behaviour

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ozzy my underpig is constantly rumbling and walking around which provokes the dominant piggie into chase. Is this playing? Ozzy continues rumbling despite being chased and it’s going on for longer periods of time now

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It sounds like how my pair used to get on sometimes. It was like having rumble wars for days, because they liked to wind each other up occasionally. In their case I was never too worried, they never got to the point one was telling the other to back off. I'd keep an eye on it but wouldn't stress too much.

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It sounds like how my pair used to get on sometimes. It was like having rumble wars for days, because they liked to wind each other up occasionally. In their case I was never too worried, they never got to the point one was telling the other to back off. I'd keep an eye on it but wouldn't stress too much.
I was a little worried as they were running laps for about 5 consecutive minutes doing it but they stopped now, I’m having an early night so it was like trying to sleep next to a lawnmower

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Also my ozzy has started rumbling at everything bless him, he rumbles and bum swings when he’s laying down or even when there’s nothing there. So cute but Bruno takes it as a challenge and the chase begins

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Comet apparently started rumbling at @Claire W's Edward at one stage. Some boars (well, pretty much all) are very proud of their rumbles and they insist everyone else needs to know how great their rumbles are too.
I have two very proud rumbly boars especially ozzy now (very big surprise as he was always so quiet) just afraid that it might go too far because it’s always taken as a challenge, I might be overthinking it

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If all they're doing is sounding off at each other I'd still let them do it, a challenge is one thing but it's the response to the challenge that matters and it doesn't sound like the response is problematic.

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If all they're doing is sounding off at each other I'd still let them do it, a challenge is one thing but it's the response to the challenge that matters and it doesn't sound like the response is problematic.
nothing has come close to happening yet, will just leave them to rumble. Thank you

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I divide my boars into 'rumblesingers' and 'mountaineers'. The rumblesingers are usually more submissive than the mountaineers.

It is worth noting that boars measure up against each other via rumblestrutting. All my 8 'husboars' in the piggy room have worked out a hierarchy between them and it is reinforced through the bars during roaming time.

Here is a classic example of what I call a 'boar haka' between my Gethin and Claire's similar aged Edward when he came here for the summer holidays.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1217102528320603&extid=AG8p187NrZh9FuAP

Ellie-May

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ozzy my underpig is constantly rumbling and walking around which provokes the dominant piggie into chase. Is this playing? Ozzy continues rumbling despite being chased and it’s going on for longer periods of time now
I’m trying to bond my four girls with a potential husboar. However, the first interaction didn’t go so well mainly because they felt threatened by him but nothing serious happened. I keep finding that he does that up and down the bars a lot to maybe try and get their attention or to wind them up. Since Monday things have improved a lot so hopefully when I try again things will go well. Here is a photo of the current situation

Attachments