• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boar Bits?

BoredBellaaa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I know, two posts in a day, lol! Today while grooming my boys and clipping their nails, I noticed Alfie’s bits looking a bit bigger or swollen? Last time I’ve checked his bits they haven’t looked like that. He has been active, eating and drinking normally, not acting unusual or showing any signs of pain. I checked Archie’s bits also and they look the same as last time I saw them, but a lot different from Alfie’s. I’m quite concerned as I’ve never seen this on him before. Thank you!577DC59C-CB76-4C37-A7E9-96CB763445A0.jpegAlfie’s bitsFAC36837-567C-4BA3-89BC-5EA292C954BA.jpeg4FD1B648-6619-4DF8-90F3-F26FDA1819E6.jpeg2506F513-85CE-420F-8D37-AC07DECE8673.jpegArchie’s bits

Attachments

• 8070B64E-1EC1-42E7-BA2A-9735EFD4317F.jpeg
    8070B64E-1EC1-42E7-BA2A-9735EFD4317F.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
The LA guineapig Rescue YouTube Chanel has lots of videos of boar bits cleaning and impaction it may be worth a watch as she goes through what you have to do! (It’s a bit smelly!)

... and well done for noticing this :hug:

I had a boar ( my Rainbow bridge pig called Reuben ) who had problems with impaction . It's usually very straightforward to manage once you get the hang of it . I checked Reuben every couple of days and cleaned out what had collected there. I recommend , as you haven't delt with this before, booking an appointment with your vet who will show you what to do .

Hi everyone! I know, two posts in a day, lol! Today while grooming my boys and clipping their nails, I noticed Alfie’s bits looking a bit bigger or swollen? Last time I’ve checked his bits they haven’t looked like that. He has been active, eating and drinking normally, not acting unusual or showing any signs of pain. I checked Archie’s bits also and they look the same as last time I saw them, but a lot different from Alfie’s. I’m quite concerned as I’ve never seen this on him before. Thank you!View attachment 152330Alfie’s bitsView attachment 152331View attachment 152332View attachment 152333Archie’s bits

Hi!

Please see a vet promptly for impaction! It looks like it's been there for a while and must be very uncomfortable for him, poor boy. It should be removed and he should be checked for an possible infection building up behind.

Unfortunately impaction is a life-long progressive problem that affects about 10% of mostly older boars.
Take the time to carefully read both our Boar Care Guide (that shows you how to check and clean their boar bits, including what to do with the build-up of smegma around the penis) and our Impaction guide that will show you with several videos how to clear him out and what you can do to stabilise him with dietary measures if the impaction is still mild.

Here are the links:
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths
Impaction - How To Help Your Guinea Pig.

Hi!

Please see a vet promptly for impaction! It looks like it's been there for a while and must be very uncomfortable for him, poor boy. It should be removed and he should be checked for an possible infection building up behind.

Unfortunately impaction is a life-long progressive problem that affects about 10% of mostly older boars.
Take the time to carefully read both our Boar Care Guide (that shows you how to check and clean their boar bits, including what to do with the build-up of smegma around the penis) and our Impaction guide that will show you with several videos how to clear him out and what you can do to stabilise him with dietary measures if the impaction is still mild.

Here are the links:
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths
Impaction - How To Help Your Guinea Pig.
I have read both of the guides given, I’ve tried to clear the impaction myself but it’s extremely hard to remove. I’m not able to get him to a vet as of now as I’m very low on money and cant afford it at all. I’m afraid he might die, I really want to get him seen by a vet but I cannot. Is there any way I can minimize his suffering or is there anything else I can do?

If you can’t remove it all yourself then he really does need a vet, plus as wiebke has said you won’t be able to check for infection, only a vet can do that.
The guides explain what else you can do, but having a vet check him over needs to be the first port of call.

I have read both of the guides given, I’ve tried to clear the impaction myself but it’s extremely hard to remove. I’m not able to get him to a vet as of now as I’m very low on money and cant afford it at all. I’m afraid he might die, I really want to get him seen by a vet but I cannot. Is there any way I can minimize his suffering or is there anything else I can do?
You might be able to arrange a payment plan with your vet for his fees?

You might be able to arrange a payment plan with your vet for his fees?
Hi, actually I just got the mass of feces out of his anal sac and I cleaned out the sac with mineral oil and water. I have him by himself in a playpen as of now to let him relax as I’m sure the ordeal was stressful for him. I did some research and I think I will be able to arrange a payment plan with my vet so I can pay whenever I gather enough money. I will be taking him to the vet to have him checked over as his genitalia looks quite swollen compared to Archie’s which is normalE480E831-7BA6-4DCA-B520-939E0CFA7FA2.jpeghis genitalia after the removal of the feces3C5C46C4-4A1B-4E80-B9A8-6322D97E412E.jpeg2DB02435-027E-4E3E-A793-B49A1C324C2A.jpegwhat I got out of Alfie

It’s best to keep him in the playpen with his friend rather than be by himself. Being separated is stressful for them so he is much better off staying with his friend for comfort and so as to not cause issues between the two of them

It’s best to keep him in the playpen with his friend rather than be by himself. Being separated is stressful for them so he is much better off staying with his friend for comfort and so as to not cause issues between the two of them
Yes, I have put them back together in their cage. He is doing fine now and they are both okay. Thank you for the advice :))

Back