Boar Buddies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggies_pal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone :),
I just thought Id make a post about my little success story. I had been searching the internet for a while about having boars living together and was so worried as the stories I found were predominantly bad in regards to introducing and keeping more than 2 boars together happily, so thought Id share my happy story for anyone else who might find themselves in a similar situation.
I have two rescue boars that are 6 months old, one is an Abyssinian called earl and is very dominant and enjoys his own space with a very outgoing energetic personality and the other is a rex called bumble who is very sweet, cuddly and a huge softy. I kept finding Bumble trying to snuggle Earl and getting told off and he ended up sitting chatting by himself and it broke my heart... so I spoke to some professionals about the introduction of another boar to my little group to keep Bumble company and got advised that if I do it should be a young male not one of similar age. So I carried on looking into it and found some horror stories and felt stuck with what to do.
Then last week I went to the pet shop to get some treats and there was this adorable just arrived in shop baby boar. I melted and went for it. I brought him home gave him a rub with one of their blankets and as my boys are free range with an open front cage and the roam of a room I placed him down first with Bumble. Bumble instantly went up to him and just sat next to him giving him a sniff. Earl then came over rumble strutting as usual and I held my breath with a towel in hand... He chased the baby around for about 35 minutes and then began to relax, all was going well.
Earl has now become very attached to the little chap, having the baby on his heal at all times, he shares his food with him and even lets him have veggies that he's in the middle of eating. Ive found the introduction of the baby has softened him up and often find the three of them getting on very well. Bumble now has a snuggle buddy and Earl is becoming more and more social by the day, all though still a rumbly little man but he always has been and I can imagine always will be.
Although early days I couldn't be happier with how its gone and wanted to share this with anyone who is worried about introducing boars to each other.

Bumble Bertie & Earl 1.jpgBumble and Bertie.jpg

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

That is great news!

The vast majority of boars can be bonded and re-bonded at any age. The tricky bit is finding a character compatible mate; that is the key to any successful bond, apart from plenty of space. With boars, it usually takes between 1-3 meetings at a rescue for most boys to find "Mr Right". It is a lot more difficult if you do not have got access to a good rescue that offers this service and have to acquire a second boar on your own risk and also have to do the intros yourself.
There is of course always some risk that a baby may turn out to be too dominant when it hits the teenage hormones, but if you have got an age difference and mutual liking, the risk is a lot smaller than with two not personality matched baby boars.

As we have got members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state

AuntyC

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What a lovely story - hope they continue to get along. I think one of the advantages you have is a very spacious set-up. Boars love, and indeed often need, lots of room so that they can have individual personal space if they feel like it. Where some boar introductions fail is that they are forced to share too small a cage and have nowhere to go! Personally, I have a bit of a soft spot for boar piggies:love:.

Piggies_pal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Wiebke I think I have now added my location, sorry about that :D. I have been looking into the hormone change when he gets to his teens I have everything crossed for when the time comes and am looking at any tips to try and reduce any future tiffs but hopefully I have got lucky having an age gap and they seem to like him (so far) haha.
AuntyC Thank you, I hope so too and I'm going to do everything I can to keep the peace in the future. Yeah I have to agree and I can honestly say the boys utilise every inch of space in their room, I find them only going back to their cage for a bit of munch and to use their litter tray! I also think it really helped that there is plenty of comfy beds for them around as when they get a bit fed up they go to a distant bed for a quiet lone nap. Same, Ive kept many of both and I found myself going back to the boars, once again :love:

Piggies_pal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I thought I would give an update on some of the behaviour I've witnessed during the first two weeks of me attempting a boar trio as I've found it very interesting to watch and thought you would like a look. They all seem to be getting on with living as a three well. I haven't had a fight so far so I'm considering it going well haha.

My dominant one earl has really relaxed since adding the third and has given bumble my submissive 7 month old a break, earl seems to stay in his own part of the room only going to them when he feels sociable, when food is involved or when they're all running around exploring together. They all eat together and are considerate with sharing the food and veggies between them as they allow each other to take it off them and never argue over who's is who. He has his own bed which he protects and is rather territorial about. It only gets as far as rumbling and teeth chattering when someone first enters the snuggy that he considers his with the occasional chin off which often is seen with the others placing their chins low to the ground. during the 1st week placed together there was some lounging (never touched each other more like a warning long - but these never developed into a fight). The snuggy earl is protective about is open at both ends and is a tub design so there is always a quick exit. I have found him allowing them to sleep in there with him but he usually gets annoyed after a while and tells them to get out with a rumble or chatter. He's still a rumbly little chap but there has been no mounting or any extremely aggressive behaviour seen. There has not been a mark found on any of my boys and no hair being pulled out or anything like that as I am checking twice a day. Earl does challenge the other two on occasion with a chin off and a rumble/chatter but they quickly retreat and back off. I have read that this is normal and is him asserting his dominance from time to time? I hope this is correct. He enjoys a little group chatter with them but loves going back to his own space away from them once he's has enough. Is this okay for him to live like this as I probably shouldn't worry but I do about him feeling left out.

My submissive adult bumble has really taken a shine to the new baby. They sleep together nose to nose when ever they nap and sleep and are never seen one with out the other. They follow each other around all day casually and are always greeting each other with sniffs and constantly chatting away with each other and calling to each other. Although they all have a snuggly hide each there is a large one that these two have taken to sharing together and the other hide and spare bed do not get used except for exploring games. Bumble does hassle the baby sometimes with grooming and sniffing around his back end and the baby has now started giving little jumps towards him and loud little squeaks when he has enough (after about 5 minutes) and bumble stops immediately and they carry on being very good friends. I have experienced an unusual behaviour between these two... If I take the baby to be groomed or for a cuddle and he is separated from bumble they begin to squeal. The baby and bumble will squeak and bumble will run around the room looking for the baby calling back with a squeak he only does at this point. They both become restless until they are placed back together... What does this behaviour mean? It only happens between these two.

The baby is extremely submissive to earl and will not challenge him in the slightest. He becomes still and just squeaks when earl is bugging him and will retreat and jump away when he gets the first chance. They share food and occasionally are found sleeping in a similar area but they do not interact much further. Earl only rumbles at the baby and does not chatter his teeth at him or challenge him to a chin off and most of the time ignores his existence. The baby just stays out of his way. But with bumble he is a little more assertive and doesnt let him bug him for long but they are a lot closer and spend 98% of their time together.

Hope you find this little behaviour update interesting, I certainly have watching it all unfold. :clap:

piggylover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
you are very lucky as it seems they are in love and inseparable I had this sort of behaviour with a baby boar and an adult boar and it is adorable xx

MelyH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Your babies are so beautiful!

I introduced a third boar into my bonded pair a couple months ago. I was warned I was doomed to fail because most trios never work but I find that having a very large cage and most importantly, the right mix of personalities has helped in making this possible (I don't want to call my trio a success until my younger piggies are over a year old). We still have our "bad days" because my two youngest are only 8 and 7 months old and my 7-month old alpha can be very destructive and moody so they still have hormonal episodes but because my third boar is a lot older he is much calmer and confident. There's also the dreaded "witching hour" right after my husband and I go to sleep when they are trying to get settled for the night. I also had to remove huts and exclusively keep cuddle cups because they would fight over the huts. Personally going through boar trio bonding I sincerely wish you the best of luck! Also, Wiebke posted great posts on the hormonal months and boar bonding. You are at the right place for advice!

Piggies_pal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you MelyH! Its so nice to hear from another boar trio owner. I have spoken to several all over the place now with successful trios and quads and even someone with a 5! Its been really encouraging and helpful to hear other peoples experiences. Yeah, I don't think it would be going as smoothly if they didn't have their very own room to roam around in. My two oldest are 7/8 months old and they also have their "bad days" as they're stroppy teens... today is turning out to be one of them with lots of bickering, but they were like this before they were a trio and it never escalates and I've never found a mark on any of them its over in a second, I think they're just being young boys as 95% of the time they get on very well. My dominant is very moody too! With the other two, me and any sound he hears haha. He's also a bit of a biter, hates being held just likes a scratch when he comes to me. Ooh I know the "witching hour" very well, although mine decide its their time to shine at half 5 in the morning! Thank you the luck is very much appreciated! I am indeed, I have read lots and lots on here about bonding and boars and have learnt so much and really feel supported in my bonding journey :)

MelyH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you MelyH! Its so nice to hear from another boar trio owner. I have spoken to several all over the place now with successful trios and quads and even someone with a 5! Its been really encouraging and helpful to hear other peoples experiences. Yeah, I don't think it would be going as smoothly if they didn't have their very own room to roam around in. My two oldest are 7/8 months old and they also have their "bad days" as they're stroppy teens... today is turning out to be one of them with lots of bickering, but they were like this before they were a trio and it never escalates and I've never found a mark on any of them its over in a second, I think they're just being young boys as 95% of the time they get on very well. My dominant is very moody too! With the other two, me and any sound he hears haha. He's also a bit of a biter, hates being held just likes a scratch when he comes to me. Ooh I know the "witching hour" very well, although mine decide its their time to shine at half 5 in the morning! Thank you the luck is very much appreciated! I am indeed, I have read lots and lots on here about bonding and boars and have learnt so much and really feel supported in my bonding journey :)
Your case sounds just like mine! Except my alpha does really well being held and cuddled, maybe it's because he's my favorite ;) He's the one on my profile pic!

Piggies_pal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Your case sounds just like mine! Except my alpha does really well being held and cuddled, maybe it's because he's my favorite ;) He's the one on my profile pic!
Aww well isn't he handsome! What a lovely boy :)! You're very lucky. My dominant one is earl the silver aby in mine. He's a rescue so I let him take his time, he's come along loads since I gave him a home so I'm sure one day he won't be so scared of people, he climbs onto my lap for scratches which is amazing considering how he was when I got him! Hopefully one day he will be cuddly like your lovely boy but if not I'm just glad he can be happy now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.