Boar Cage Next To Females

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallulahmay

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I moved my boy cage next to my two females as a bit of company as he is on his own ,is this a good idea or not.
It seems to have created a lot of popcorning , and squeaking , mainly from him and one of my females , it's the first time I have seen him jumping about ,as he hides a lot. But Betsie and charcoal are now seeming unsettle in there relationship they ,are occasionally nudging each other out of the way and nipping bums , though it might just be gentle as it doesn't cause a squeak. So it's not a good idea maybe ? Also Betsie seems to be nibbling the bars and cortex , near him .
I intend to get him neutered and he can join them but he is too young yet ,there is no way they can get together as he is lidded . Should I move him he seems happier to have someone to talk to.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I moved my boy cage next to my two females as a bit of company as he is on his own ,is this a good idea or not.
It seems to have created a lot of popcorning , and squeaking , mainly from him and one of my females , it's the first time I have seen him jumping about ,as he hides a lot. But Betsie and charcoal are now seeming unsettle in there relationship they ,are occasionally nudging each other out of the way and nipping bums , though it might just be gentle as it doesn't cause a squeak. So it's not a good idea maybe ? Also Betsie seems to be nibbling the bars and cortex , near him .
I intend to get him neutered and he can join them but he is too young yet ,there is no way they can get together as he is lidded . Should I move him he seems happier to have someone to talk to.
A single boar next to sows is not a problem and he will likely be very happy showing off to the girls! Leave them as they are. The mild dominance behaviour is going to die down again and your little boy is much more likely to be accepted by the girls if they are used to him as a neighbour. I would think that one of the sows has come spontaneously into season and is more interested in the boy as a consequence. You will get stronger seasons as the sows react to the presence of a boar.

Direct nieghbourship is only a problem if you have more than boar living together, as sow pheromones can upset the relationship between boars and can cause fights/fall-outs.

tallulahmay

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh good and thank you , yes Betsie the more interested one is older than charcoal, she definitely has her eye on him , he isn't that interested but he does seem happier which was the objective , it's lovely to see him hopping and skipping about!

Status
Not open for further replies.