• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boar castrated

whitetop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
HI all

I got my boar elvis castrated yesterday and his only had small bites but is poo'ing and pee'ing but come today his run and bedding stinks of pee but real strong, they was changed before i picked him up, i'm changing them today as his order felleces are washed. Is this ok as vet have just told my wife to wait the 7 days for his check up and his small bites are fine.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant to say make sure he has food and water very close by and change his bedding as often as needed.
If he doesn't seem to be eating has the vet given you instructions on how to step in with syringe feeding?

If you have any concerns at all you should call the vet and ask for him to have a follow up appointment sooner than in a week.

whitetop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was only given pain killers for him that he has to take every morning, just said keep a eye on his poo's and wee's.

Wife phoned today about him only eating small bits of hay and grass, he has only eaten the outer part of some cucumber and not the inner part that he likes. His been in his house since 7 AM and has yet to come out.

I was also trying to put Neutering not castrated but no edit button.

whitetop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
He did have his first file down on his teeth as well, i forgot to add that.

I will get wife to drop in when coming from school run to get recovery food (must of threw his brothers away) his got hay/grass and cucumber by him, his just feeling down. wife cleaned him up after the phone call as he stunk of wee, swelling has gone down alot since yesterday.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
He did have his first file down on his teeth as well, i forgot to add that.

I will get wife to drop in when coming from school run to get recovery food (must of threw his brothers away) his got hay/grass and cucumber by him, his just feeling down. wife cleaned him up after the phone call as he stunk of wee, swelling has gone down alot since yesterday.
Why did he have to have his teeth filed? Is there a problem with misalignment or the premolars growing spurs? How expert is your vet with guinea pigs and rodent dentals? You mention 'the first treatment' so there must be an ongoing problem?

A healthy dental system on a hay based diet is perfectly balanced and doesn't need any intervention. The incisors (responsible for picking up and cutting food) self-sharpen against each other as long as the all important back teeth are nicely ground down by the very abrasive silica in unlimited hay, which makes ca. 80% of the daily food intake - the food the dental growth has evolved against. 15% of veg should be in the region of an afternoon snack and 1 tablespoon of pellets per piggy per is more of a dessert as they contain a lot less fibre and much more fillers. What most people are unaware of that guinea pigs on their natural food, hay, will also not suffer from scurvy because fresh grass is rich in vitamin C and good quality hay still contains plenty, too. It is the reason in the first place why guinea pigs never had the need to make their vitamin C in the first place.

You contact the vet clinic asap whenever there is a problem post-op and do not wait for the scheduled standard check-up, which is there to discharge the piggy if all goes to plan. How piggy savvy is your vet?

Please take the time to carefully read all the green information links in this thread. You should find them very helpful and informative.
Tips For Post-operative Care
Neutering operations: Considerations, post-op care and a successful recovery example

Unfortunately you can't check the hay intake by eye only only by weighing daily at the same time. The poo output is generall running 1-2 days behind so won't give you vital current news. If the strongly smelling urine persists, please contact your re. a potential infection.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

whitetop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm not sure, we asked for a check up before OP as he was chattering every so often, the vet said the back teeth was just touching his tongue which was very strange as his always eating hay and also eats his veg house (ones that you buy from petathome, all hard hay/grass/carrot) He has unlimited hay for sure as i've just brought more hay from the shop.

They do do rodents and this vet that did the OP was in for other rodents that day so i'm not 100% on his knowledge but was reassured he knew what he was doing as the rodent vet we see was not in due to illness and she knows her stuff. there has been a lot of wee and poo and on his pad there is white stuff (semen?) and swelling has gone down around his abdomen but small swelling by his privates.

whitetop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have finally got to the vets and have to take him in for a check up, his had some baby lettuce leaf but the smell of his wee and still swelling by his bits, will update as i got to go to one of their others a few miles away. :(

whitetop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok i've took him up, swelling has gone down and the vet stated he should of not left the clinic with the swelling he had, he was dehydrated but gave him a I.V, strong pain killers and a injection for his bowl movements, i'm back there tomorrow but we have him back and his eating so far but recovery food on standby.

On record it only said clipping of teeth but not what teeth, she was very apologetic due to no real after care as well. his having some hay right now and some baby lettuce and our eyes are not off him.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok i've took him up, swelling has gone down and the vet stated he should of not left the clinic with the swelling he had, he was dehydrated but gave him a I.V, strong pain killers and a injection for his bowl movements, i'm back there tomorrow but we have him back and his eating so far but recovery food on standby.

On record it only said clipping of teeth but not what teeth, she was very apologetic due to no real after care as well. his having some hay right now and some baby lettuce and our eyes are not off him.
Please follow the advice in our feeding guides in the previous posts. It can literally make the difference between life and death as your boy has obviously received substandard vet care. Getting enough food into him is vital. The weigh-in first thing in the morning will help you figure out how much top up support feed he'll need to keep his strength up and to minimise the risk of further dehydration.

Here is our recommended vets locator: Vet Locator

whitetop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Please follow the advice in our feeding guides in the previous posts. It can literally make the difference between life and death as your boy has obviously received substandard vet care. Getting enough food into him is vital. The weigh-in first thing in the morning will help you figure out how much top up support feed he'll need to keep his strength up and to minimise the risk of further dehydration.

Here is our recommended vets locator: Vet Locator
He has eaten from me but am going to give him some recovery food, he was 1.2 yesterday before OP but she said he was 1.1 today. I think it will be the last time i use black vets from now on.