• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boar Castration Complications, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jussiecar

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need advice/help. I went to my vet this morning to get my piggy (jagger) neutered (his companion passed away two weeks ago and I already have two girls so I was hoping I could put him in with them) I told the vet if there were any problems to not go ahead with it. He said that while jagger was asleep with the oxygen he was making funny noises in his chest and that a lot of piggies do that at first as it can irritate them but they settle and get used to it, but jagger wasn't stopping so he listened to what I asked and stopped. So I'm picking him back up today with his little men still in tack but I don't know what to do. He said I can try it again next week and see if he's okay, or try the injection method? Obviously I could buy another boar but I don't want to get into the habit of getting a new one when one passes away :( and what if they don't get along I could get rid of the one I just got so I would end up needing two more and then is have millions! (I wish I could) has anyone ever had this problem before? What should I do :(

I am sorry that the op didn't go to plan, but good that your vet stopped it!

I have you moved your thread to the health/illness section so our medically more experienced members can give their opinion on whether it is advisable to give the op another try at a later time or not.
@Pebble @Elwickcavies

If you decide not to go ahead, you can consider boar dating under expert supervision at one of our recommended rescues; that is going to minimise the risk of fall-outs and you come home with boarmate if there has been success.
Rainbow Rescue in Southport would be your closest recommended rescue. Unfortunately, spayed sows are extremely rare since the only rescue with a spaying policy closed down a year ago. https://www.facebook.com/kaylee.rainbowrescue

Thankyou for the help and the link! If it's my only option I will get him a friend as I wouldn't ever want any of my piggies to be lonely, I just hope that maybe I could house him with my girls. I don't want to do anything that could harm him.

I've got my little jagger back at home now and he's fine but part of me just thinks there may be something underlying for this to happen, so I've searched this forum for local vets that are good and I found one that some people have sworn by so I've booked an appointment tonight for a check up. Part of me thinks if his breathing went funny maybe he has some kind of infection and that because he's not showing any signs maybe I can catch it early! Going at 6pm tonight. Poor little guy. Thanks to @charl1 for reccomending birch vets in Oxton, that's where I'm going tonight :)

All the best! It can be an infection, a bad reaction to the anaesthetic or an issue with his heart; but it is certainly worth checking out and making sure.

2 issues here:

a) response to GA/respiratory issue - possible underlying condition
I'm glad the vet didn;t go ahead with the op. Neutering in any case is fraught with post-op complications - let-alone a piggie who can;t deal with the GA.
If you are going to understand the underlying issues with your piggie in respect of their response to the GA (ie respiratory or heart issues) then you need to treat this as a separate investigative issue to the neutering/bonding aims. You need to carefully weigh the pros and cons of the effect of an investigative op given he may already be a heart pig etc

b) The need to "bond" - I think you should put this on the back-burner for your piggie..
Yes - guineas are sociable animals and most people on here will encourage you to get them a partner to replace the one they have lost.
I however have a slightly different approach based upon experience.
I have several single boars who, because of long term health conditions, cannot be neutered and are on special diets.
I have tried bonding them with other boars (many times) but they are just too "boarly"
If I can find a spayed sow (who will accept them - sows also have a mind of their own!) then that is all well and good....but the difference in diet also needs to be factored in. I will not pair a sow (or boar) who can eat veggies with a boar who cannot.

My current "special needs" single boars are quite happy to remain single in the same room as other piggies and wheekingly interact with the veggie chorus. They are not deficient in quality of life for lack of a partner and I think I have done the right thing for them (in view of their med issues) by not subjecting them to further investigative or neutering procedures.

HTH
x

Piggies and other rodents do often get gurgley, this is due to there respiratory system producing a lot of mucous.

If your vet was worried I would suggest a course of antibiotics. Just because he didn't coupe with a ga now does not mean he can never go under aneasthesia just needs a bit of looking into.

Hope you get it sorted.

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back