• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Boar Cleaning

kate4001

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone just a quick question. So I am not looking forward to doing my first boar cleaning on my new pigs. Is there any way my vet can do this instead of me, like someone professional? Mine are still quite skittish and nearly claw my skin off when I try to cut their nails once a month, I can’t imaging doing this to the poor dears! But of course I will if I have to. 😀

What are you planning on cleaning?
most young boars will take care of themselves and there will be very little you have to do.
A quick check to make sure they are clean around their genitals, and grease gland and perhaps an occasional bum but bum baths may not need to be done if they are looking after themselves properly.
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

What are you planning on cleaning?
most young boars will take care of themselves and there will be very little you have to do.
A quick check to make sure they are clean around their genitals, and grease gland and perhaps an occasional bum but bum baths may not need to be done if they are looking after themselves properly.
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths
Really? Thanks for the link and thats good to know. I was just reading something about how you have to do it every week or something. I see some little dirt down in that area, so maybe I will take a look sometime soon. Thanks for this.

I only give my boys a willy wash if they really need it. I check "down there" every week as part of the routine weekly check. Usually they are pretty good at keeping themselves clean. Occasionally Christian will have a sperm rod but only because he has arthritis in his spine and sometimes can't clear it for himself. This is the largest sperm rod I have ever found on him. :yikes: :yikes:

HUGE Sperm Rod.JPG

I also only check when I weigh and have never needed to clean it weekly. I once gave them a bum bath because their grease glands were a bit mucky. I’ll have to do it again sometime.

I only give my boys a willy wash if they really need it. I check "down there" every week as part of the routine weekly check. Usually they are pretty good at keeping themselves clean. Occasionally Christian will have a sperm rod but only because he has arthritis in his spine and sometimes can't clear it for himself. This is the largest sperm rod I have ever found on him. :yikes: :yikes:

View attachment 151439
Yikes! I am only used to girl pets so this is a bit new for me! And nice to hear that you give a routine check. I just wonder if mine would put up with that from me.

I also only check when I weigh and have never needed to clean it weekly. I once gave them a bum bath because their grease glands were a bit mucky. I’ll have to do it again sometime.
Okay yeah and if worse came to worse my vet would probably see this at our yearly checkup for them right?

Yes. They should be able to keep themselves clean though.

Back