• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boar making odd noise

pbluebirddd

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya, so my almost two year old boar has started making these almost strained sounds recently that I haven't been able to find a description of anywhere! He started it a few weeks ago (mainly when scratching or cleaning himself) but has just started doing it whilst eating too. I can't seem to attach a video here so the way I can best describe it is low pitched (at times a bit lower than the sound made when rumble strutting) mixed with almost whining sounds.

But yea I'm starting to get concerned so any help would be appreciated!

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Has he lost any weight?

It is impossible to say what it might be, but it would be worth booking a vet appointment to check for infections or other underlying problems.
Any change in behavior is usually worth getting checked out.

pbluebirddd

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Has he lost any weight?

It is impossible to say what it might be, but it would be worth booking a vet appointment to check for infections or other underlying problems.
Any change in behavior is usually worth getting checked out.
Thank you for your reply! No he definitely hasn't lost any weight, he's the biggest of my boys (not by a huge amount but that it's noticeable).

I've just uploaded it to my Vimeo (only video on my profile) if you'd like more of an idea - Persia

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hiya, so my almost two year old boar has started making these almost strained sounds recently that I haven't been able to find a description of anywhere! He started it a few weeks ago (mainly when scratching or cleaning himself) but has just started doing it whilst eating too. I can't seem to attach a video here so the way I can best describe it is low pitched (at times a bit lower than the sound made when rumble strutting) mixed with almost whining sounds.

But yea I'm starting to get concerned so any help would be appreciated!
Hi!

It is not quite easy to hear but his breathing sounds a bit congested? I would definitely recommend to have him vet checked; he may have a respiratory tract infection. Breathing issues often become more noticeable when a piggy is eating because it disrupts the flow of air through the narrow and small airways even further. We've had a big fall in temperatures recently in the UK.

pbluebirddd

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

It is not quite easy to hear but his breathing sounds a bit congested? I would definitely recommend to have him vet checked; he may have a respiratory tract infection. Breathing issues often become more noticeable when a piggy is eating because it disrupts the flow of air through the narrow and small airways even further. We've had a big fall in temperatures recently in the UK.
Oh okay, thank you so much! I'll call my vet today and see what they say. That would explain why it's only occurred recently.

PremierPig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've just had my piggie at the vets this week with a throat inflammation which made her breathing sound wheezy. I think with the weather changes, like humans, some of the piggies are more prone. My poor girl seems to get everything going!