• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boar Post-op

KellyM

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
One of my 5yr old Boars had an op on Wednesday where the vet removed a 1cm bladder stone.
I had to take him back to the vets on Thursday as he wasn’t pooping and the vet gave him a difference painkiller and some Emercaid to syringe feed him.
This morning he is lethargic, and despite trying to syringe feed him he has been storing it rather than eating. He is dragging himself around the cage on occasion and is unable to lift his head. I’m really, really worried and he isn’t back in at the vets until tomorrow morning.Could people help with suggestions as to what I can do while I’m waiting please? I have slept by his cage the last two nights as I’m scared he’ll be in pain but I’m now at the end of my tether, especially as he’s no longer feeding/ taking water. He is currently flat on his tummy in his cage, his brother keeps going over to sniff him and groom him. I have pooped a small piece of fleece on to keep him warm
Thank you

KellyM

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear he is unwell.
Can you get him back to the vet now rather than wait for the appointment? He sounds as if he really does need to be seen.
I'm assuming you’re not in the UK?
I am in the UK, The vets is closed due to the bank holiday, there is only the emergency contact number. I have just made a mix of pellets to try and feed him

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am in the UK, The vets is closed due to the bank holiday, there is only the emergency contact number. I have just made a mix of pellets to try and feed him
Hi!

Please contact the out-of-hours vet number.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
:agr: All U.K. vets have to arrange out of hours emergency cover for their practice if they don’t do it themselves. Please call your vets to get the number for the emergency vets and then call them for advice.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Called emergency vet who have directed us to the local PDSA. He is currently in awaiting to be assessed while we are having to wait outside. I’m hoping they can do something for him, missed his wheeks this week
Fingers very firmly crossed!

You can find the necessary home care advice for a severely ill piggy in the green Emergency, Crisis = and Bridging Care link in an earlier post if your piggy is coming back home with you.