• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Boar problems!

DougalandDiego

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My boys are driving me a bit crazy again. :doh: :eek: They seemed to have been fine the last few weeks but the last couple of days (possibly three) they have had moments on and off when they have been quite dominant with each other. It seems to be that every time they come into contact with each other in the cage that Dougal (the submissive pig) rumble strutts as Diego is trying to move him and then starts squealing submissively when Diego starts moving towards him (they have small chin raises and brief chattering when this happens) Diego then chases Dougal off and then it starts again when they bump into each other.

I feel at a loss of what to do as I’m back to school/work on Thursday and I hate to think that they’re constantly doing this when I’m not there. Does anyone think this is reason to separate them? I have a big enough c and c that theycould live next to each other but has anyone found it makes their pigs upset? Diego although he is the dominant pig is very nervous around people and I’m worried that him living on his own would cause him to stop eating or something?

Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks everyone:luv: I have videos so will try uploading them and post them on here in a bit.

I’m not quite sure what started the argument but I don’t think the wooden bridges were helping as there was a lot of bickering in them!

Definitely remove anything which seems to be a pinch point. If it’s just dominance, then do try to sit it out. I think they’re just being hormonal and hopefully they will come through it

Hahaha yeah brilliant nickname for them both especially as they’re both so naughty 😂🤦🏻‍♀️ The more I watch them Dougal is definitely being the instigator. Diego tries to ignore him and walk away then just chases him off after a bit when he gets fed up so think it’s probably Dougal having a spike of testosterone that’s caused it!

I grinned at this, I’ll always be 5 lol
Hahaha it’s alright, I chuckled away to myself when I called them it the other day! :)) I must be too!
Hahaha yeah brilliant nickname for them both especially as they’re both so naughty 😂🤦🏻‍♀️ The more I watch them Dougal is definitely being the instigator. Diego tries to ignore him and walk away then just chases him off after a bit when he gets fed up so think it’s probably Dougal having a spike of testosterone that’s caused it!
Having a brave and testosterone filled day! Hope they’ll have chilled out a bit with each other later xx

This sounds like my boys six months ago when they were in their teens. They keep you on your toes don’t they? Sounds like they are just generally pushing each other’s buttons and seeing how far they can throw their weight around. Mine would do it in spits and spurts too. Luckily everything evened out between them with time and a move to a c&c cage. Mine also liked having ‘height’, so I put in houses (with two entrances) where they could lie on the tops. Not being on the same level as each other seemed to help for whatever reason 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah thank you @Fantasimo. They’re 15 months now so hopefully they’ll calm down soon. Yeah mine have two wooden hideys that Dougal likes to normally jump on top of when Diego is being a bit much but it’s definitely Dougal that’s causing the problems at the moment! Poor Diego is being quite patient really. Luckily when I got home (I had to go into work for a few hours) they do seemed to have calmed a little bit 🤞🏻 Still rumbling and moving each other but it’s not quite so tense as it was this morning! Thanks for all the support everyone!

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice about the removal of the wooden bridges I did a few days ago!

The boys seemed to have calmed down over the last couple of days. They still do their usual rumbling (Dougal 99.9% of the time and he does popcorn at the same time 🤦🏻‍♀️) which can sometimes lead to Diego either chasing him out the way or kicking him out of a hidey but Diego does sometimes ignore his rumbling and leave him be or popcorn off in the other direction so I’m hoping this isn’t too concerning behaviour?

I think from watching them that Dougal rumbles to try and tell Diego to leave him alone as it’s normally done when he’s eating or in a hide sleeping so I’m hoping it’s not anything to worry about? Anyway the question is when/if I return the two wooden bridges I took out of their cage?

I’m not in a rush to rock the boat again as like I said I’m back to work full time now and would rather leave them out until they’ve definitely calmed down so I don’t cause any bickering but they only have their two wooden houses and two litter trays. One of the wooden bridges was a big one (didn’t quite realise the size when ordered on Amazon!) and one is the normal smaller ones that I see on here. They did take up quite a bit of space in their cage so I’m wondering if the lack of open space could have caused the arguing? Does anyone think it might be better to get two small ones so they’re the same and they can’t hog the big bridge or does it not really matter? Sorry for the waffling it’s just hard to see what’s causing the bickering as it doesn’t seem to be one thing in particular but it could be my lack of guinea pig experience!

Thanks in advance!

Back