Boar Trio Bonding - Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelyH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently posted I wanted to bond a third boar into my pair and I was advised to stay away from it as most trios fail. Well my husband being stubborn as he is insisted on attempting although I warned him of the consequences he went ahead with it.

With hesitance on Saturday I washed all guinea pig fleece and bedding and my husband increased the guinea pig play pen by a couple feet to make a large 5 ft by 3 ft live in play pen (we plan on building a two floor C and C in a couple weeks. Although I wanted to observe the quarantine, Lionitus came from a guinea pig rescue where he was well taken care of so I knew he wasn't sick.

I had already introduced my trio on neutral grounds with plenty of hay and lettuce and only one fight broke out and I also had them next to each other for a week letting them get to know each other.

My already bonded pair are 7 and 8 months old with Reptar, the youngest being the alpha. Our third adopted piggy is 1 year and 4 months old and much bigger than the Maximus and Reptar.

We put them together and immediately Reptar, my alpha wanted to smell Lionitus but for some reason wasn't threatened by him. Maximus immediately returned to being the bottom piggy and also went about his business. Turns out Lionitus, even though bigger, is a huge coward and doesn't like confrontation. We haven't seen any mounting and Reptar just gets aggravated when it's eating time because he has to be the first to the food and the one that selects his chunks of lettuce before anybody else. We also tend to hear them chatter their teeth when two want to be in the same hut. Reptar tends to go into whichever hut he wants and Maximus and Lionitus have to choose whichever Reptar isn't in. I find it funny that the youngest and smallest is the alpha.

I don't want to declare this a success until Lionitus comes out of his shell and we can see his personality more. I think right now he is intimidated and once he becomes comfortable he will show his true personality. If this is a success I think I will attribute it to their personalities and not anything we did. Just thought I'd share since I know I found this subject and boar behavior really intriguing.

As you can see, even when there is bickering food is always sure to make everybody happy.

ayemee

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What gorgeous boys!

I've had a trio of boars before, but I put that down to working only because two of the males were extremely laid back and were never that bothered about being dominant.

In other words I got very lucky!

Hopefully things work out for you and the boys. Best of luck! :)

katie-elizabeth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Lovely boys :) I forget who now but there was another member on here with a group of boys as well as Amie :) so it can work! I hope your trio continue to get on!

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the vets at our practice has a successful boar trio too, so they can work - it's all down to the pigsonalities I guess.

MelyH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks all for the kind thoughts! I'm keeping my fingers crossed they can get used to this and it will work long term. I continue to hold and cuddle Reptar before anybody else to make sure he feels confident in his alpha status. Because Reptar is the only one we've had since he was a baby and we had him alone at first he became extremely confident in himself and now dominates not one but two other piggies!

1GuineaPig1

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh, how I wish I could have a trio! Unfortunately, I don't believe that would work out with my boys working out who exactly has the dominant position at the moment. I think it's Bacon, but you can never be too sure...

Anyway, I'm glad its going well with you and your boys, they are beautiful!(In that manly sort of way. :)) ) Please keep us updated!

MelyH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh, how I wish I could have a trio! Unfortunately, I don't believe that would work out with my boys working out who exactly has the dominant position at the moment. I think it's Bacon, but you can never be too sure...

Anyway, I'm glad its going well with you and your boys, they are beautiful!(In that manly sort of way. :)) ) Please keep us updated!
It hasn't come 100% easy as there is still a little bit of bickering over piggy huts! We are working it out though :)

1GuineaPig1

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It hasn't come 100% easy as there is still a little bit of bickering over piggy huts! We are working it out though :)
Oh yes, that has always been a challenge! I think my pigs have finally stopped their squabbles-it seems as though Bacon's hidey is the red one, and Eggs' is the green! They have assigned sleeping places now. :)

ayemee

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My four girls still squabble over hidey huts. They never seem to want a certain one until they see someone else in it. :))

MelyH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My four girls still squabble over hidey huts. They never seem to want a certain one until they see someone else in it. :))
We live in a loft so when I'm in bed upstairs I can distinctly hear them down stairs squeeking and running around trying to get settled for the night. This morning I woke up and found one hut turned upside down. Reptar my alpha wants to have a different pick every night and the other two complain about being kicked out. Funny how their personalities shine through!

Status
Not open for further replies.