• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Boars behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kellie

I have only had my boars for almost a week, I have started them noticing them kind of challenging each other, sometimes they live together ok, other times they seem to torment each other, is this normal or am I heading for trouble?
I was wondering if they need to be split up before they have a big fight or is this behaviour just for show?
I am possibly getting 3 females (mum and 2 babies) off a friend soon so would it be possible to pair up each boar in a seperate cage with the new females? (boars are neutered).

Just want some opinions please as I don't know if they are just being normal or whether I may end up with a fight on my hands!

My two boys when I first had them going back 6+ years (!), Jin and Tonic, were like that for a couple of weeks.. After that they settled down and then wouldn't be anywhere without the other!

That's just my experience, others may have different ones..

Also neutered males with females are ok, they still bonk (!) and get along fine.. Just takes them a while to get used to each other and different environments..

Kelly and piggies xx

Boars do tend to fight as they get older. The ony boars which I have had be ok together are a daddy piggy with his son. (Mr Tiggy and Joe)
Boars are more likely to get on if they have been together since one or both of them were young. If you believe that a big fight is going to arise, just monitor closely as boars can fight really badly which eventually ends up with one of them bleeding. If you are getting some sows then it might be nice for them to each be paired off if they are neutered. I have never had a neutured boar living with a sow so I cannot say how they are together. I think though that they do tend to get along quite nicely.

I have always prefered sows because they don't really fight and get on much better than boars. However, Rosie is bullying Amber still really bad. I never expected a girl to act the way Rosie is. Earlier, Amber was lying in the tube and Rosie kept putting her head in and biting Amber's face. I think Amber is absolutely terrified of Rosie. I really do want to build a C&C Cage where all the sows at my boyfriends house can live together. Fingers crossed that will work!

Ellie
TGPF Admin

Kelz, this is completely normal. I am a expert on boars since I have 5. Do not split them up! Only split them if they have a huge fight that draws blood. I don't see why this would happen but maybe they are fighting over food? Toys? With boars, it's nicest to have two of everything or simaler types of things. Like 2 hidey houses, 2 vine balls, 2 bowls of food, 2 water bottles etc.

If a group of piggies is living together fine, it isn't nice to split them up so if you split up the mother and babies you might get, it wouldn't be the nicest thing since you don't really need to do it ;)

Livie x

Make sure though Kellie that they don't start to become scared of each other. Ben became very scared of Jippi and was completely down. Think Jippi had been buillying Ben and all along we thought it was more likely to be the other way around. If you think your guinea pigs are not happy being together anymore, the only option really is to split them up. As Livie said its nice for them to stay together but sometimes the best thing you can do is separate them!

Ellie
TGPF Admin

Thank everyone, they have pretty much 2 or 3 of everything in there. they have been together for about 6 months and they have had the odd scuffle apparently. I will just monitor them closely, from what I could see today, George was chasing after stanley and kind of baring his teeth at him and stanley cowered away and made a clicking noise.

This is fairly normal behaviour for boars. They always seem to be trying to sort out who is boss!

Just keep an eye on them to make sure that one is not stopping the other from getting at food and water. Also check them both over regularly incase they have any bite wounds - these can be tiny but it may be a sign of worse things to come. If boars do decide to fight it can get extremely nasty - they can really hurt, if not kill each other. I am a piggie foster mum and I have treated some dreadful fight injuries that have left pigs damaged for life. If there is any blood shed you will need to separate them straight away.

Kate

I have always found that most boars get on together. If they aren't going to tolerate each other they make it known from the start and your biggest worry is when they go deathly quiet and then just fly for each other *EEK* Boars often go through stages of rumbling at one another and then they quieten down. The teenage years (when a piggy is going through puberty at roughly 3 to 8 months) and the toughest months to get through. Once they have gone through that they normally calm down. Thats why it can be easier to pair up an adult boar with a baby, they tolerate one another better. I have some trios and pairs of boars living quite happily together ;D Its up to you to decide whether to split them up, but because they are already neutered it would be wonderful if you placed each with a girlfriend. They would naturally prefer to do that in my opinion, lol. If you then wanted to add to your cavy family you would be able to add sows to each cage and they would probably all live peacefully together ;D Good luck with whatever you decide ;D

Thank fully I don't seem to be having a prob with them now, maybe they were just in a mood LOL. I put in 2 bowls as I have always done but they both eat out of the same one, they are very funny! Hopefully they will always be friends and maybe they just have the odd argument with each other.

Hiya

This is normal for boars. They are just proberbly deciding who is gonna be the dominent piggie.

Just keep an eye on them. i had to seperate my boys as Benidorm was mounting Bokki all the time, it turned quite nasty and they had a huge fight and it was awful. But they are now living side by side and are fine with that.

Just get to know them and their personalities and that way it will be easier to spot if something isn't quite right.

Hope this helps

Love

Claire
x

my boars are brothers been together for ever but they still squabble over food, it`s normal, one will steal food from the other so the other has to get some more.. but they get on great, sleep in the same place and if they get a fright or are stressed at bath time, they run for one an other and cuddle up X

Colt Quarterback Manning Isn't a Happy Camper
There's a big difference between Peyton Manning speaking up about an internal problem with the Indianapolis Colts and Terrell Owens complaining about the way the game plan was conceived and implemented with the Dallas Cowboys.1 backyards per game (second best in conference usa) and had five 100-yard obtaining sport,Robert Meachem Jersey, which was the most in a lone time of the year at ecu. You can send a guy like Owens away and survive.0 dismisses,Jerricho Cotchery jersey, two compelled fumbles, and one fumble recovery. But as Manning goes,Reggie White jersey, so go the Colts.0 dismisses, three broken-up passes, and three compelled fumbles. I would not expect a Matt Cassel-like scenario regarding Jim Sorgi, so if the Indy quarterback took flight, this franchise would, for the time being anyway, be lost.0 undertakes for decrease, 6.
Manning is obviously like a coach on the field., where he teamed with erron kinney and assisted the patrick henry patriots to the 1994 state football championship. In an era where quarterbacks get the plays from the sidelines, which in turn has received them from upstairs, he comes the closest to a complete field general,Paul Hornung jersey, in the tradition of a Johnny Unitas or Joe Namath.) with 23 tds while catching 13 passes for 200 backyards (15. Manning comes to the line of scrimmage in the Colts' no-huddle offense with a few different play possibilities that are piped in to him, then examines the defensive alignment and more or less decides which play is going to be run., has been chosen to five pro bowls and has been an all-pro six times. It can be argued that he is in more command of his offense than any NFL quarterback in recent years.” at the 2008 nfl combine, o'connell ran the 40-yard dash in 4. With his football pedigree,Darrius Heyward-Bey jersey, and his undeniable instincts,Kyle Wilson Jersey, there is little doubt that last year's Most Valuable Player could call all the plays in the huddle (or at the line of scrimmage, as it were) if he had to., the family dwelled in daleville, alabama, where tony excelled as a three-sport letterman in football, basketball, and pathway & field.
That's why it is so important that the coaching staff keep up with him,larry FITZGERALD jersey, rather than the other way around.' he has abounding of arm. And that is why fans of the Colts have to be disappointed in what they have heard from their peerless leader at the beginning of "organized team activity" (OTA) this past week. bo bo smith what they're saying: showing a lot of natural skill and giving effort on the field,bo smith is an aggressive cornerback with good upside.
"I think the communication has been pretty poor in my opinion.15 seconds vertical jump = 32. Somebody says one thing, then somebody else says another thing.16 backyards per rec. I'm not sure everybody's on the same page in this building.1 rtg),Steve Slaton jersey, eighth in the homeland in tallying protecting against (16." That's what Manning told reporters the other day.12, following the jets' bye on oct. It's particularly disconcerting because that kind of thing is just not in Manning's personality.19, 2006 by david carr of the houston texans). It must be pretty bad there.1 choose on attack undertake d'brickashaw ferguson in an effort to rebuild their attack line.
The Colts are part of a trend that no doubt will continue, in which a coach who knows he is leaving will designate a successor ahead of time,LeSEAN McCOY jersey, and who will take over when the time comes, affecting what is hopefully a seamless transition.”warren aggravated an ankle junction wound soon before the nfl combine, where he laboured in place drills and ran the 40-yard dash in 4. In this case it is Jim Caldwell, the former head man at Wake Forest, who spent seven years as an assistant head coach under Tony Dungy.0 1,895 16 9 1992 127 219 58. But Caldwell's staff is in a state of flux.0 1,609 7 4 professional career nfl draft following his older time of the year, mark mark brunell was chosen by the green bay packers in the 5th around of the 1993 nfl draft. Offensive coordinator Tom Moore, who has done such a great job with Manning, and Howard Mudd, the offensive line coach, have stepped down because of issues with the way their pension plan has been re-structured, and although they can come back to become "consultants," which is owner Jim Irsay's intention, that will not happen until August 2, and that still is uncertain.0 backyards per punt).
Maybe this was unforeseen, but that's the way things work in the NFL, one supposes.(* comprises nfl combine) carolina panthers kris jenkins completed the 2002 time of the year with 60 undertakes and 7 dismisses, en path to an alternate look on the nfc's pro bowl group, where he restored an hurt warren sapp. The guy on the hot seat is Caldwell, who was 26-63 in his only stretch as a head coach with the Demon Deacons and is much more dispensable than his quarterback. he subsequent tweeted it was time to wake n bake,Haloti Ngata jersey," a quotation to marijuana. The assistants, especially Moore, who had a magical relationship (eleven years) with Manning, would have been pillars the new coach could lean on.) with 2 tds in 2002 regardless of missing 5 sport with a knee injury. But at this point, who knows?
This is the kind of thing that sometimes transforms a team from division front-runner to one fighting for its wild card life against the Titans,JOE NAMATH jersey, Jaguars and Texans,DeSean Jackson jersey, in a very tough AFC South.martin tevaseu height:6-2 weight:325 age:22 college:nevada-las vegas experience:r team:new york jets martin tevaseu (dt/6-1/310/nevada-las vegas/boonville, ca) was before marked as an undrafted free agency by the cleveland browns on may 17, 2010, and was issued on june 15.
Topics related to the article:

Robert Meachem Jersey Colts deny artificial noise

Bart Scott jersey Get A Life - Or A Rolling Stone

Joe Theismann jersey Colletto replaces Martz as Li

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back