• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boars bums and twigs!

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I checked my boys bums a few nights ago whilst doing a grooming session and pulled out bits of substrate, hay and whatnot as usual. 1 of them had a slim but relatively long twig right up there! :blink: It didn't seem to hurt him when i pulled it out but it is a bit worrying! The hay does have twigs in and I do remove what I can but obviously I can't find them all. I have found hard bits of hay up there too before. I always find that the collection of debris up my boars bums has white gunk on it and doesn't smell the greatest. I did do a bit of researching and used a baby wipe as suggested afterwards. The white discharge goes up further than i can reach with a wipe so I left it. (I really don't want to be using cotton buds up their bums if I can help it.)

What I would like to know is....
How often should I check their bums and remove everything? I was doing it once a week. Aww... the thought of that twig possibly being up his rear for a whole week :(
Will they get an infection over time? I'm assuming that the body flushes itself out internally as long as i keep the outside clean?

Thank you for any comments and sharing your boys bum routines :lol!:

As your boars seem to gather alot of debris maybe you should check twice a week? I check mine over once a week and felt dreadful that Christian had a HUGE sperm rod stuck in his willy on Thursday. It must have been so painful for him. I think I shall be checking him more often now. His willy was so swollen and irritated from this sperm rod, I couldn't get his willy to go back in until I VERY gently tapped it. I haven't had a check yet to see how he is "down there" cos I thought I would leave it to calm down.

As your boars seem to gather alot of debris maybe you should check twice a week? I check mine over once a week and felt dreadful that Christian had a HUGE sperm rod stuck in his willy on Thursday. It must have been so painful for him. I think I shall be checking him more often now. His willy was so swollen and irritated from this sperm rod, I couldn't get his willy to go back in until I VERY gently tapped it. I haven't had a check yet to see how he is "down there" cos I thought I would leave it to calm down.
Yeah i think I will do it twice a week from now on. I did feel bad the poor little blighter :( I was thinking about checking it daily but then i thought too much poking around could possibly do more harm than good.

Hee hee they're great even when they collect things in their bums. I've not experienced a sperm rod yet. I'll look forward to that! XD

Back