• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Boars & Females In Same Room?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angeladeedah

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I re-homed a 4 year old boar a few months ago and he lives quite happily on his own in the same room as my 3 females.
A friend at work daughter's piggies ended up having babies and I thought I'd rehomed a baby boar as a companion to my lone boar so will be attempting to bond them.

Can they all live harmoniously in the same room? Their cages will be at opposite sides of the small room, not right next to each other. I don't really have anywhere to keep 2 separate cages.

It shouldn't be a problem, just as long as they are not in direct line of sight. The other option would be above the girls.

Thank you. Phew!
The girls c&c cage sits on a table so I might leave the boys cage on the floor or get my Dad to make a slightly lower table than the girls one that he made.

The boys could alternatively live underneath the table. With one of your boys rather past the big macho hormones and the other a baby that is simply growing up with sows around, it should be much less of a problem that if you had or got a couple of hormonal boys.

What you need to train yourself for is to always do the boys first if they share roaming, bathing, grooming, cuddling on the same pullover etc. so they don't get the fresh sow scent.

It's not that high enough a table that they could go underneath but they would be out of sight line on the floor. That's where the current boar is just now.

And that's a really good tip about tending to the girls first - thank you. That would probably have never entered my head.

The wee baby boar is in his own wee cage in that same room just now (just got him home today - it was sudden rehoming so only panicked about them all living in the same room when I got home). He's having a right wee chat with them all. Think he's the noisiest of them all. Wait til he meets my cat that grooms them all when they're in my lap. Lol.

I have girls and boys in the same room in a two level c&c cage :) the boys live on the top floor and the girls on the bottom floor.

It's not that high enough a table that they could go underneath but they would be out of sight line on the floor. That's where the current boar is just now.

And that's a really good tip about tending to the girls first - thank you. That would probably have never entered my head.

The wee baby boar is in his own wee cage in that same room just now (just got him home today - it was sudden rehoming so only panicked about them all living in the same room when I got home). He's having a right wee chat with them all. Think he's the noisiest of them all. Wait til he meets my cat that grooms them all when they're in my lap. Lol.

You always need to tend to the BOYS first to make sure that they cannot smell the girls. Youngsters are ever so loud and noisy; you always know when they are asleep! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back