• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boars Grease Glands Where Tail Would Be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johng2611

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
(Michelle) While bathing Guinness and Sammy I noticed that both of the boys were very crusty and looked blocked up (lump) where the grease gland is at the back. I moved most of it with the shampoo but left the rest as I wasn't sure at the time what a piggy grease gland should feel like, should you be able to feel it for instance? Have searched the forum and using washing u liquid on this area is recommended. Anyone done this? and should there be no crustiness once cleaned?

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a boar with a very greasy grease gland too. When it is clean it should just look like skin and not feel greasy at all (!). I use Swafega on my boy, just a little dab, dry, and work it in and then rinse off with water. Works a treat. I know that coconut oil is also popular if you don't want to use Swarfega. Again, you rub a little in while it's dry and then wash off with shampoo. They both do the same thing. Washing up liquid works well too, but I find it gets a bit foamy and hard to contain where you need it. Hope that's helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.