• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

boars

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pippin

i know this must be a question you see a lot but can you keep two boars together?

Yes you can.

Brothers can work well, as can father and son. Introducing a young boar to an older on can also work. It is usually better if the boars can not see or smell any sows as that can lead to fighting. Also they must have plenty of space. Each piggy is different so there are always exceptions but those are the general rules.

The Barmy4Boars website is brilliant for info on housing boars together.

I think brothers etc are ok and theyve been brought up together ( ive got a dad and his 3 sons in a hutch),a while back i put two diff bonded pairs together and they argued( and still do) but all 4 live quite well in the one hutch
I tried two rescue ones the other day and they fought so theyre both getting neutered in the next fortnight as I dont like seeing them single and lonely

unless anyone can think of another solution to the prob?

Hi, I have two boars living together and two separately. One is such a bully (Skip) that I would not try him with another boar. My other single boar I am currently trying to introduce to my other two living together. Its going well. From my experience, it takes time and patience. Sometimes though it just doesn't work as in Skips case. When I looked into getting my other single boar (Clowny) a friend, I was advised to introduce either a young boar or a female. As Clowny is an old boar, I did not want to risk neutering and there are no guarantees that as the young boar gets older, that they will remain friends. Hope this helps.

Its all down to personality and patience! Although when I got my Cubby the woman who was "getting rid of him"( cause he was so big and she was worried he was gonna get his mum pregnant) at 3weeks (!) I just brought him home rubbed him over with Golly's towel and put him with him cause he was so young and I was worried he would be lonely and they've been fine (thankfully!), Golly was 6 weeks then. We may have problems as they get older but I think because Cubby was so young he was grateful for the company and to be honest he's the one doing all the rumblestrutting! He is a very big lad (rex), so again its just personality - Golly is very laid back. As is my 41/2yr old he will accept anyone! I do find that certain breeds are more tolerant than others - don't know if anyone else does - Rexes & dutch are quite laid back, where as abys tend to be a little more squittish, nervous and prone to humping! - In my experience!

lol@ rumblestrutting,i love that word

I would love to put my two single boars with guys or gals but I think theyll argue,guess Ill just have to wait until theyre " done " :(

You can put two boars together Angela :), but as some others said it may require patience. Two young ones are best

I have 2 lots of twos!

I paired some boars up last week. I had two brothers in a C&C cage but took one out so I could pair them with sows. Once the sows were taken away I left the boars on their own while they forgot about the sows. Max, the boar in the C&C cage wasn't happy on his own and kept running up and down the ramp and chewing at the bars. The other boar is fine and is still on his own for now. However, I had another adult boar on his own who seemed lonely and while cleaning another cage which housed to brothers I decided to put one of the brothers with Max and the other with William (the lonely boar). When they were put together there was lots of rumblestrutting and trying to mate each other but no teeth rattling so I figured they'd be ok and left them to settle down. Max and his companion are in the C&C cage which is on the floor, right next to the big sow pen. They are prolly close enough that they can see the sows and most certainly smell them but its caused no problems and they're quite happy living with each other now.
In my experience, boars will only fight if both parties are up for the challenge. They have to go through a procedure beforehand which involves squaring up to one another, rattling their teeth and snaking their heads. Usually, one of the boars will lose interest and back off. The other boar will very rarely pursue the matter. I've paired up adult boars quite a few times, even ones who have been with sows. So long as you pair a dominant with a submissive, there's never usually any trouble. In fact, I've had fights amongst sows, but never had a fight between boars.

Kat

Yes.

I had two brothers and they lived happily together with barely so much as a cross word, for four years.

When one brother died, I successfully paired up the survivor with a younger adult boar (both full boars). It took time and patience but they have become good friends and live together happily. I was told that Rupert had been used for breeding but he is still happy to live with Sammy. I would not say they are as close as the brothers were, but they enjoy each other's company.

The brothers were happy to share a food bowl but with Sammy and Rupert I always offer two bowls - often they share one anyway, but having a second one available helps to keep the peace.
It also helps that they get plenty of floor time so they can have a rest from each other if they want to.

When two boars are paired up successfully it can work like a dream, but it can end up as hell on earth if they don't. Fighting between 2 boars can be vicious and result in really nasty injuries, believe me, I've seen a lot of rescue board badly bitten and with assesses.

Barbara

cavykind said:
When two boars are paired up successfully it can work like a dream, but it can end up as hell on earth if they don't. Fighting between 2 boars can be vicious and result in really nasty injuries, believe me, I've seen a lot of rescue board badly bitten and with assesses.
Barbara
In this case, would it be best to keep a boar on its own if it wasnt originally bought from say a pet store with another boar?

cavies said:
cavykind said:
Barbara
In this case, would it be best to keep a boar on its own if it wasnt originally bought from say a pet store with another boar?

Boars that haven't been brought up together can get along, especially if introduced as babies/youngsters. Adult boars are often more problematic. But it can work.
A boar that doesn't like other males, can be neutered and paired up with a compatible female.
Though not considered ideal by most, many boars live happy and conteneted lives as indoor pets and seem very happy as part of an attentive family home. A guinea pig living alone, should in my opinion be kept in the family living area, where he can see what is going on, get frequent attention and be a central part of the home he shares with his humans :)

Barbara

cavykind said:
...A guinea pig living alone, should in my opinion be kept in the family living area, where he can see what is going on, get frequent attention and be a central part of the home he shares with his humans :)
Barbara
I agree with that. Its sad for any animal not to have company and be locked away from contact with civilisation!

I've just been on Barmy4Boars website and found out loads of gr8 info,I've got 3 boars at mo,2 brothers bonded,and Malcolm who is hopefully soon getting a baby rescue boar.I was always put off having boars by reading bad press about them,but no more........I think they are fantastic :)

They can be kept together, but as most people agree, it does'nt always work. You could have 2 brothers who get on fine as babies, but when they mature, may fight and will then have to be seperated. I keep my boy in the house. He is on his own, but is in the main living area of our house. Every evening I open his cage and he has free time out in the living room. He is funny as he does laps around the dining table and then goes wandering round. At the moment he is fascinated by the chrimbo tree. He is really good as he does'nt chew anything and always goes back to his cage if he needs the loo. He is a joy and I love him to bits! ;D

Well, guys I think I have decided. I definitly not getting rats anymore ;D I am getting boy boar guinea piggies. :D Buuuut, more research to be done first ;D

You should get some boys :)

I got my Leroy when he was 8 weeks and then a week later paired him with Malcolm who was 6 weeks. This was my first experience with boys and I've since learnt that I've been very lucky as they've not had one single fight. As others have said, it's all down to personality. My two are extremely laid-back and couldn't be without each other now. I'd recommend you get two and watch them carefully.

I have one other boy, Colin, who I took in recently when he was unwanted. I keep him on his own. He loves human attention and I don't think he suffers as he's in the living room right next to the other two. I'm told he was in a few fights when he was younger so I think now he's older he is content to be by himself with his own cage and his own toys :D

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

thanks for your help everyone, i have had boars in the past but I'm ashamed to say they were in seperate cages which i feel so guilty off now,now i have two sows together used to be 3 until one died back in january they are fine together, but i miss the boars there was something about them and i was hoping sometime in the future to have some more but didnot want them one there own agian so you really have helped me out thankyou so much :) tha two i have now are called pippin and ojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back