• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bond Broken :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanz23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on how I can rebond with my guinea pig Jaffa.
He recently spent the last few months going back and forth to the vets after a lump appeared under his chin, he ended up having two ops and spending 2 months on meds 3 times a day, he's back to him self now (thank god) apart from he appears scared of me now, he see's me as the bad person that been taking him to the vets and forcing meds down him. He takes food off me but when I get him out for a cuddle all he does is shake he never used to do that :s

Hi I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on how I can rebond with my guinea pig Jaffa.
He recently spent the last few months going back and forth to the vets after a lump appeared under his chin, he ended up having two ops and spending 2 months on meds 3 times a day, he's back to him self now (thank god) apart from he appears scared of me now, he see's me as the bad person that been taking him to the vets and forcing meds down him. He takes food off me but when I get him out for a cuddle all he does is shake he never used to do that :s

Be patient and persistent with your cuddles.Let him feel safe and relax underneath a towel or you pullover, even at the risk of the occasioanl pee (which actually means that he has completely relaxed!)

Give him lots of praise and a little herb or veg treat, and he will come round when once realises that you are no longer out to get him. Piggies are pretty forgiving.

Yeah that's what I'm doing :) every night he come out for a cuddle with his favourite blanket to hide/ snuggle in and cucumber his fav treat, it's only been a week since he's off he's meds, just makes me feel so guilty if only he knew it was to save his life

Give him time. Your probably more traumatized by it all than he is. They do like to worry us.

Awww and you're really taking care of him too! Hope you're both feeling better soon.

You couldn't do more. :) The only advice I have to give you is to pick up, feed veggies while cuddling, soon as he's done, put him back in. He should be better in no time, I'm glad he isn't ill any more.

Lots of cuddles and play time, I like to get down on the floor with my boys during floor time, I lay on my belly and share their space with them while they eat veggies and talk to them. My boys like to worry me by shaking after nail trimming sessions. Keep it up he will be fine and he will forget the bad stuff soon :)

Just keep giving him cuddles and treats. Mine get skittish of me when they are on meds too (I'm that bad medicine person, I guess!) I try to give the meds first and then cuddle them and give them a treat, to hopefully take some of the negativity of the experience out for them. I have one who is on meds chronically, and I find that as time has gone by she is less agitated by the meds and doesn't seem to hold it against me as much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back