• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Bond in trouble or normal behaviour?

Rivervixen

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got woken up by them both screaming and making noise. One is chattering teeth and harassing the other, when I say screaming I mean it was piercing to the ears the sounds they were making

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What was the screaming one doing? Was he being submissive? Sometimes the underpig’s ‘scream’ sounds like they’re in pain but they’re just telling the top pig they’re submitting.

Is top pig chasing and humping repeatedly? Unfortunately this can happen every now and then, particularly if they’re in their teenage years. It can be incessant but they should eventually lie down and rest.

Maybe keep an eye on them for a little while if you’re able to.

Rivervixen

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The screaming one keeps backing himself into corners even though there’s plenty of space and he seems terrified, the top pig wasn’t humping at all just chasing and teeth chattering loudly, I took him out for a bit which stopped the teeth chattering. Now they’re just both making very loud noises if they come into contact, I’m scared for the underpig as he won’t defend himself

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That’s when the first surge of hormones occurs so humping may follow. I’d just keep an eye and see.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
You could separate them for a day or two and then try them together again. I haven't had boar pairings but my understanding is they can have hormone spikes that last around a day which can cause tensions. Once the spike is dying down it may be ok for them to be together.

Blueladybird73

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 2 older sows and 3 teenage sows who have lived together fine, but just the other day there was some falling out. They were teeth chattering and leaping at each other, scary stuff. It went on for a couple of days. There still seems some tension in the air but it has calmed down a bit. It's funny as I did realise it was the 3 younger piggies, so I'm guessing it is hormones. The dominant older sow did get involved which she's great at. I could see from early on that one of the teenagers was dominant too, so I think it could be a problem again in the near future.

Rivervixen

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They went to sleep and when I woke up they’re at it again, not as bad as yesterday but the top pig is being incredibly mean. It’s ridiculous how chill and sweet the underpig is, it’s upsetting to watch :(

Pigboyslim

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They went to sleep and when I woke up they’re at it again, not as bad as yesterday but the top pig is being incredibly mean. It’s ridiculous how chill and sweet the underpig is, it’s upsetting to watch :(
I’m having the same with my boys, one has sustained a scratch on his nose 🙁
I feel so sad for the underpig (ginger)
It’s slmost as if Charlie told him off earlier when we were feeding parsley to them - they had a rumble and Charlie tried to nip his rump then ginger would no longer approach us for the food.... I’m just keeping a close eye on both.

Blueladybird73

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is hard to watch. My two have been at it again with a clump of ginger hair being pulled out. I daren't put them back together again either. I have read online about bathing them all together, so they all smell the same if you're desparate and that it helps to resolve the problems. Never tried it so not sure how reliable that is. But I might be giving that a try myself at some point.