Bond In Trouble

breakawayfromme

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I have 2 males pigs they have been together about 4 months now
One is about 2, the other I would say nearly 18 months maybe

The past day or 2 one has been bullying the other, chasing and trying to instigate problems and as a result they both have a couple of scratches
The live in a 6x4ft playhouse, they were upgraded to this (from a 4x4) but that was nearly 2 months ago and i kept the layout as same as I could and have not changed it since and have had no issues until now
They have 2 bowls, 2 water bottles and 4 different hides or tunnels so plenty of options for them

I have done a basic health check and apart from the scratches as I said, I cant see anything noticeable
They seem be eating fine, weighed them earlier and not underweight

If it gets full blown I will separate immediately of course but was wondering what people reccoemnd my next course of actions be? do you think this could be maybe hormone related?
Would a health check at the vet be worth it?
thanks in advance

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Do the scratches look deliberate or a misplaced swipe? Is the other pig acting submissive at all? Sometimes separating for a couple of days and re-introducing on neutral ground can sort out whatever it is. Have a read of the guide below and decide what level the dominance behaviour is at. But if the underpig is retaliating then it may be time to separate I’m afraid.
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If things get tense between them, then can give them a day or two separation to calm down. If they want to be together, then they will go back together. If there is a problem between their relationship then it will become clear upon reintroduction whether their bond is going to work out.

Bonds In Trouble

breakawayfromme

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The less dominant one does not seem to be instating anything or trying to retaliate
Do you think a few hours together in a smaller space and a deep clean of there home may be an option?

I have a puppy pen, outdoor run and a cage that I could put them in as as smaller space

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The less dominant one does not seem to be instating anything or trying to retaliate
Do you think a few hours together in a smaller space and a deep clean of there home may be an option?

I have a puppy pen, outdoor run and a cage that I could put them in as as smaller space
No I don’t think a smaller space or a deep clean will help. If they are in a smaller space and there are tensions, then lack of space could bring things to the forefront again. Equally, deep Clean will mean it won’t smell of them any more which could cause more dominance and territory marking

If the submissive is happy with his position and is submitting each time then that’s a good thing. The dominant obviously feels the need to assert dominance - it could be due to a underlying problem in their relationship or hormones. Do you always ensure you handle the dominant piggy first?

If it’s hormones, then time apart could help them to calm down - do read the bonds in trouble guide I linked in as it explains worrying behaviour and how to deal with it and when things can be saved

Last edited:

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
To add, if it is just normal boar dominance and not bullying (bullying is when the dominant piggy won’t let the other eat, sleep, rest and the chasing and mounting is constant) then you don’t need to do anything as they calm down on their own. You only need to step in if things become too much, go too far and fights may break out

breakawayfromme

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I dont handle them to much really well not for like cuddles and stuff, they are used to being handled but only for when I put them on the grass or nail trimming, need to go in a carrier etc etc But no I just always picked up whoever is closest to me first
Will read that thread now thanks

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You need to maintain their hierarchy by always dealing with the dominant piggy first. If, as Piggies&Buns said above, it’s normal dominance behaviour and underpig is being submissive then leave them to it.

breakawayfromme

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I took a short video of the issues if anyone can spare a minute, I would be super grateful
To clarify this is not normal behavior for this pair

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi I took a short video of the issues if anyone can spare a minute, I would be super grateful
To clarify this is not normal behavior for this pair
That is completely normal behaviour. The dominant piggy is rumblestrutting and attempting to mount the other piggy. There is not a concern in that behaviour at all - its what boys do!

If there was to be a blood drawing, full on fight or bullying (constant mounting, piggy constantly being chased, not being allowed to eat or rest) and the submissive piggy becoming depressed, withdrawn and losing weight, then those are reasons to separate. If the behaviour has been nothing more than in the video, then they are absolutely fine together

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I have 2 males pigs they have been together about 4 months now
One is about 2, the other I would say nearly 18 months maybe

The past day or 2 one has been bullying the other, chasing and trying to instigate problems and as a result they both have a couple of scratches
The live in a 6x4ft playhouse, they were upgraded to this (from a 4x4) but that was nearly 2 months ago and i kept the layout as same as I could and have not changed it since and have had no issues until now
They have 2 bowls, 2 water bottles and 4 different hides or tunnels so plenty of options for them

I have done a basic health check and apart from the scratches as I said, I cant see anything noticeable
They seem be eating fine, weighed them earlier and not underweight

If it gets full blown I will separate immediately of course but was wondering what people reccoemnd my next course of actions be? do you think this could be maybe hormone related?
Would a health check at the vet be worth it?
thanks in advance
Hi!

Young adult boars can still occasionally suffer a short hormone spike. Please separate for a day or two. A re-intro on neutral ground will tell you whether the bond is still viable or not.
Unless there is an underlying rift, the boars will actually go together with just some nominal dominance upon meeting.
Bonds In Trouble