Bonded pair

Ethan3wilson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 2 girls. One is although playful and enjoys being pet, dislikes being held while the other one enjoys falling asleep on my lap and being handled. It’s a hassle to take both of them out for lap time as I have to keep an eye on one while holding the other and obviously I give them both equal floor time for exercise but every once in a while it’s nice to sit on the couch with the guinea pig. The issue is that the calm one of them is very bonded to the other and freaks out when she can’t see her big sister. Is there anyway to calm her down by herself or will she always freak out when she’s not with her cagemate and I should just always take them both out at the same time.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 girls. One is although playful and enjoys being pet, dislikes being held while the other one enjoys falling asleep on my lap and being handled. It’s a hassle to take both of them out for lap time as I have to keep an eye on one while holding the other and obviously I give them both equal floor time for exercise but every once in a while it’s nice to sit on the couch with the guinea pig. The issue is that the calm one of them is very bonded to the other and freaks out when she can’t see her big sister. Is there anyway to calm her down by herself or will she always freak out when she’s not with her cagemate and I should just always take them both out at the same time.
Hi and welcome

Most piggies are not cuddlers when they are given their honest vote. Use a cardboard box to lift and transport both at the same time and to keep them contained while you cuddle them together.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Please take the time to read this guide here. It explains about guinea pig instincts, how you can work around them and use guinea pig social behaviour to make friends with them in a language and in way that make sense to them (you can call it 'piggy whispering' if you wish to). It also contains cuddling tips.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips