• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding A 6 Month Old Bereaved Guinea With A New 3 Month Old Guinea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carla-1990

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
so a lot of you know fudge passed away yesterday.. and now my main concern is nibbles I want to do anything I can to make him happy and to be honest he is eating drinking and even popcorning around.. ive been giving him lots of cuddles but know I want to get him another friend, the new guinea will be around 3 months old and I'm just looking for some advice on bonding them.. do I HAVE to buy another cage? or can I bond them over the course of a day? by using a playpen and lots of veg etc, just looking for peoples own opinions and experiences and any tips to help them bond. thankyou

In regards to bonding they say when you start doing it you shouldn't split them unless they aren't getting on, as in ready to attack.

We've bonded two pairs of boars, the first was Storm and Snow, they were put together at the rescue, seemed fine, my son bought them home, they went in to a cage that had been washed out and all the stuff was washed and they were fine, same for the second two only they were left a bit longer in a neutral area to make sure they did get on, bought home and again put into a cleaned/washed out cage with washed items. We've had no problems.

okay I'm just wondering if I'm going to be able to do it without buying another cage? xx

Yeah you should be fine if they get on when you introduce :) just make sure you give your current cage and items a good wash before putting them in (if they do get on). IF they don't get on, then ermm depending on what your planning you may have to get a cage if you can't take the guinea back.

If you adopt from a rescue some will let you date them, ie take your guinea and introduce them.

Sooooo I went ahead and got a new friend for nibbles xx

:yikes:

I hope there's no underlying problem with your new guinea, from what I've read the recommend you quarantine piggies that are bought from pet shops for 14 days, if you adopt from a rescue they are usually already checked etc. I'm guessing you don't have a rescue near you?

I really hope your piggy is healthy and that bonding goes well with them both.

Congrats on getting a friend for Nibbles. Pets@Home can be a bit hit and miss with regards health, so I'd keep a good eye on him, but I'm really pleased Nibbles has a new friend. I'm currently going through trying to find a friend for one of mine, and it can feel a bit stressful, as all we want at the end of the day is the right personality match :)
Keep us updated on the intro, hope it goes really well :). A quarantine would be a good idea as there appears to be a lot of cases of respiratory infections from P@H, probably from where they source their piggies. It's not a dig at you at all or any kind of judgement from where you got him from, it's a very common place to buy guinea pigs, but I just hope I'm being helpful, if perhaps a little cautious, in asking you to keep a good eye on his health over the next few weeks.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your little cutie (when it's a good time), as you know we love pictures! :)
Have you named him yet :) xx

Please be aware that not necessarily every boar and baby combo click instantly and that you may run into trouble if your baby turns out to be dominant when he hits the big teenage hormones. You will need to have at least a plan B at the ready when you introduce with a bought guinea pig.

You also have to keep in mind that with instantly bonding a guinea pig that is not from a quarantined/health checked background, you will have to treat both piggies if the baby comes down with ringworm, mange mites or URI in the next two weeks, due to the stress and major upsets in its short life. Several p@h branches seem to have currently got especially a ringworm problem, according to several new members' posts in our Health/Illness section.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/importance-of-quarantine.108034/

Here are our bonding guides; please read them carefully before putting the boys together! Best of luck!
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/introducing-and-re-introducing-guinea-pigs.38562/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/

:yikes:

I hope there's no underlying problem with your new guinea, from what I've read the recommend you quarantine piggies that are bought from pet shops for 14 days, if you adopt from a rescue they are usually already checked etc. I'm guessing you don't have a rescue near you?

I really hope your piggy is healthy and that bonding goes well with them both.
No I dont know of any :/ luckily all the pets Iive bought from pets at home have been fine all apart from fudge :( they seem ok at the moment x

They have been in an area together now for an hour.. nibbles has been doing alot of hip swaying and what sounds like purring. Not named little one yet will post pics soon xx

Theres nothing that theyre doing that is worrying me.. I feel like theyre going to be ok. Still keeping them out for the moment though. Ive cleaned their cage and everything in it put fresh clean blankets in and bottle bowls even the steps and bedroom partitions xx

Good luck @Kerrie7, it's always and anxious time! Cesaro is in very good hands though :) xx

Theres nothing that theyre doing that is worrying me.. I feel like theyre going to be ok. Still keeping them out for the moment though. Ive cleaned their cage and everything in it put fresh clean blankets in and bottle bowls even the steps and bedroom partitions xx

Oooh that sounds nice and promising :) Fingers crossed for you :)

I'm not going to worry, it'll be ok :) He's next to the other boars atm and lucky Cesaro is next to eh sows ;) In fact he's just been smooching with Cocoa through the bars lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back