• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding Betsy and Meg help please

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
When I feel the time is right to bond Betsy and Meg, I know this has to be in a neutral area. Would it be OK to use the run in the garage? I'll change the waterproof liner and the fleece and I'll clean the lino on the floor underneath. I'll also take out all hideys and take off the fleece forest and just have a pile of hay in the middle. The hutch will also be deep cleaned. I haven't got another space suitable inside unless I bring them in the house and it's too warm for them in the house.

It should be ok to do it there. As long as there aren't any weird smells from whatever you keep out there, because I know my old piggy used to get nervous in our garage when I'd carry him through there, just because it always smelled like paint and oil. And as long as you don't have spooky sounds out there, that might make them nervous or alert. But otherwise, you're good to go!

When I feel the time is right to bond Betsy and Meg, I know this has to be in a neutral area. Would it be OK to use the run in the garage? I'll change the waterproof liner and the fleece and I'll clean the lino on the floor underneath. I'll also take out all hideys and take off the fleece forest and just have a pile of hay in the middle. The hutch will also be deep cleaned. I haven't got another space suitable inside unless I bring them in the house and it's too warm for them in the house.
That’s pretty much what we‘re going to do to bond Buttons & Cornelius. With bonding 2 pairs at the same time we’re running out of space haha! I‘m going to properly scrub the floor of the run down so it doesn’t smell of piggy anymore and put some new fleece down. Fingers crossed it works! Good luck for the bonding x

Any space that is not part of their usual territory is fine so they can meet on equal terms.

A run in the garage is fine; it doesn't matter if it carries the scent of a number of different piggies or time-sharing groups, marking it as shared 'herd' ground and not a specific group territory. It is the latter that causes the over-reactions as that is seen as an invasion by both sides. But definitely no hideys in the bonding ground!

the garage run will be good,as it will not be a temperature fluctuation. unless you have room in the house and turn the heating off in that area .i did a bonding in the bath with Pickles saturday ,with a sow from another herd.Just hay in the middle and observed for an hour,left them to it ! i had to be careful of temps as Freya was an outside piggie.....if bonding failed she would need to go back there.i hope the bonding goes well ! xx

It should be ok to do it there. As long as there aren't any weird smells from whatever you keep out there, because I know my old piggy used to get nervous in our garage when I'd carry him through there, just because it always smelled like paint and oil. And as long as you don't have spooky sounds out there, that might make them nervous or alert. But otherwise, you're good to go!
All my piggies live in the garage. I have a 2 tier hutch and Christian, Meg and Patsy live at the top in the Penthouse Apartment and Betsy (and Dennis until 4 days ago when he toddled off to The Rainbow Bridge) lives at the bottom. They all have timeshare in the run. The run isn't neutral territory as it's shared which is why I'm asking whether everyone thinks it'll be OK to do a bonding in it.

I found Christian in his forever sleep this morning Goodbye my cheeky man, my handsome Silver Fox so it looks as if I'll have to see if the bond between Meg, Patsy and Betsy is going to work. I hope it does. Patsy was only bonded with Christian and Meg in September so I hope trying to bond Betsy with Meg and Patsy won't disrupt it.

All my piggies live in the garage. I have a 2 tier hutch and Christian, Meg and Patsy live at the top in the Penthouse Apartment and Betsy (and Dennis until 4 days ago when he toddled off to The Rainbow Bridge) lives at the bottom. They all have timeshare in the run. The run isn't neutral territory as it's shared which is why I'm asking whether everyone thinks it'll be OK to do a bonding in it.
Sorry if my answer wasn't clear! Yes, it should be ok to do it in the run, as long as there's no hideys or anything.

Hope your ladies decide to get along together. Although, if it doesn't work out, i'm sure i have seen some rather handsome neutered boys looking for a home.

I found Christian in his forever sleep this morning Goodbye my cheeky man, my handsome Silver Fox so it looks as if I'll have to see if the bond between Meg, Patsy and Betsy is going to work. I hope it does. Patsy was only bonded with Christian and Meg in September so I hope trying to bond Betsy with Meg and Patsy won't disrupt it.

BIG HUGS

I am so sorry for your loss. Fingers VERY firmly crossed!

Best of luck with the bonding. .
Message to piggies. . . You be ok with each other and piggie mummy will help. :yahoo:

Everything crossed that the bond works out.

Back