Bonding Boars - URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, so after reading the forum for ages I have decided to get my guinea pig Gizmo a friend. I am deciding to get a boar, if I can't bond them together then I have a spare hutch for him to go in, just incase. Where is the easiest place to bond? How do I do it? What happens if they fight?
I have known many people on another forum who have succesfully bonded 2 boars together. Someone even bonded their piggies in 10 minutes!

amywithpiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yay for you, getting your piggy a friend :) I don't know very much but I sat on the bathroom floor with my two girls on my lap for a while then let them have a wander. To be fair they are both submissive little things so there was no fuss or fighting.
Good luck!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! Welcome!

You can always try to ring around to find a rescue within your reach that offers boar dating (not all do), so Gizmo can choose his friend himself and you can be sure that they like each other.
http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/centres.asp

Here is a collection of tips for introducing piggies.
The actual bonding can happen very fast; that is a matter of minutes. The dominance sort out usually takes longer - days or sometimes even weeks, depending on the character constellation.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38562
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28949

Best of luck!

Lolaa

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
good luck abi!
I would put them in the bath with a towel on the base then let them get to know each other :))

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is part of a response I did a few days ago for another thread, may be helpful. xx
All my boars and sows live in the same room with no problem at all.

With regard to bonding, boars can live happily together. You just need to observe a few ground rules when doing the introductions. 7 months is not the best age, as he will be pretty hormonal. What you need to do is create the widest age gap that you can. So for this little fella, that would mean either a much older boar, say 2 - 2.5, or a very much younger boar, say 6 weeks. With the age of this one, I would be tempted to go for the much older boar combination first. You could check out your local rescues, they usually have single boars looking for pals. They should be experienced at bonding, and will help you with this. If you do get this piggy, settle him in for just a couple of weeks or so, this will give you chance to see if any health issues arise, and also for you to get a little knowledge of his character. Then hopefully you will have contacted some rescues. The introductions MUST be made is a neutral area, ie a specially made c & c, or a run etc., but the rescue should know this. If all goes well and you take a pal home, you must not just put them in your original pigs cage, as he will see it as his and could become territorial. Completely clean out, re arrange everything, so it no longer looks/smells like HIS home, then put the new pig in first, quickly followed by your original one, and usually all is well.

The second part of this where you put them in the cage/hutch is just as important as the actual introduction.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on. x

Status
Not open for further replies.