• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

bonding boars

charleigh

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hey just wanted some advice on whether or not i should try to bond my 3 boys, 2 of them are already together as they are brothers and i got them together, and then one of my pigs is by himself as he was fighting with another pig i have. i have put them in a 2x5 cage with a bit sectioned off so he still could smell them but not see them but today i went in the room and he had chewed through the sectioned part and was in with the other boys and i'm not sure if they were fighting or running around as i could hear them but not see them but when i turned the light on they were completely fine and one of them was pop corning so i'm not sure on what to do. Do i keep them seperated or try to bond them as i know bonding more than 2 males is risky

I wouldn’t try if I were you. The issue if it were to not work out would be the possibility of the bonded pair falling out and you end up with three single piggies. Chewing to get through doesn’t mean he wants to be with them.

I’d keep them side by side but make sure that the divider is more secure so he can’t get in with them again. How old are they all?

Hi!

How old are your boys? Boar trios are usually not a good idea unless they are elderly and the testosterone has long fizzled out. Even then character compatibility is paramount. With teenagers bonding is a sure fire rescipe for a disaster and even when trying to add a third boar to an adult pair you have to be aware that any tension often comes down between the bonded pair and can lead to a permanent fall-out. We have seen as many successful boar trios as we have seen peope who have ended with three single boars that won't go back with each other.

As far as boars go - don't rock the boat with a stable couple!

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

I wouldn’t try if I were you. The issue if it were to not work out would be the possibility of the bonded pair falling out and you end up with three single piggies. Chewing to get through doesn’t mean he wants to be with them.

I’d keep them side by side but make sure that the divider is more secure so he can’t get in with them again. How old are they all?
that's what i thought as it has happened before but the 2 that are bonded are 4 months and the single one is 7 months

Those ages are very tricky anyway when it comes to bonding. Trying to balance the hierarchy at that age would be nigh on impossible. I would definitely not try. Think about getting your lone pig a friend by going to a rescue that offers boar dating.

Those ages are very tricky anyway when it comes to bonding. Trying to balance the hierarchy at that age would be nigh on impossible. I would definitely not try. Think about getting your lone pig a friend by going to a rescue that offers boar dating.
i would love to do that but i already have 4 pigs and don't really have the room for another one but thank you so much for the advice! :)

i would love to do that but i already have 4 pigs and don't really have the room for another one but thank you so much for the advice! :)
Okay that’s fair. Have the two singles living as neighbours, they still need the interaction even if through bars. PS you can stack cages 😉

Back