• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding boars

Shazz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 boars and I'm afraid when we got them we had a small cage thinking it was right, we then upgraded to a double decker cage thinking they’d love it 🤦‍♀️ They hit their maturity and we started having a few tantrums and small scraps. We then built them a pen indoors that about 7ft x 4ft with the double decker cage too but it didn’t solve the problem, when they were about 1 we had to separate them with a wire divider as they’d drawn blood warranting a trip to the vet.
We have tried to rebond them a couple of times following advice from vet and other piggy owners but it didn’t stick. I’m not sure if we were given the right advice at the time or not, so many conflicting ideas making things very confusing. They’re not the most keen on being picked up but are happy enough to sit with us once we have them, they also spend time together while we clean their pen and also they’ll go outside in a hutch together during good weather and they’re fine.
My query is, would it be possible to remove the divider and let them live together properly? Or is it not worth the risk? Any ideas how to go about trying it? Any advice gratefully received

When you bond you need to do it in neutral territory. You can’t just remove the divider as then they’ll see it as an invasion of territory. Cue guarding it which won’t end well. When you’ve tried to bond them have you done it in neutral territory?

I would say if they had a fight resulting in blood I would be hesitant to rebond them. And the other thing is once you’ve separated them permanently you can’t have them together at all.

Hi, I have 2 boars and I'm afraid when we got them we had a small cage thinking it was right, we then upgraded to a double decker cage thinking they’d love it 🤦‍♀️ They hit their maturity and we started having a few tantrums and small scraps. We then built them a pen indoors that about 7ft x 4ft with the double decker cage too but it didn’t solve the problem, when they were about 1 we had to separate them with a wire divider as they’d drawn blood warranting a trip to the vet.
We have tried to rebond them a couple of times following advice from vet and other piggy owners but it didn’t stick. I’m not sure if we were given the right advice at the time or not, so many conflicting ideas making things very confusing. They’re not the most keen on being picked up but are happy enough to sit with us once we have them, they also spend time together while we clean their pen and also they’ll go outside in a hutch together during good weather and they’re fine.
My query is, would it be possible to remove the divider and let them live together properly? Or is it not worth the risk? Any ideas how to go about trying it? Any advice gratefully received

Hi!

Once piggies have decided that they are not friends, you have had it. If bonding hasn't gone well before, I would not force it and rather keep them as a bonded next door pair with full interaction and stimulation through the bars.

Guinea pigs are territorial of their own little patch, whether they live as a group or constitute a group of a single member. You cannot just lift the divider and letting unbonded piggies mix - that will be seen as a invasion and both piggies will be immediately on the defensive with the risk of aggression being the best defense. You always need to introduce on neutral ground that is not part of any piggy's regular territory; ideally even bonded piggies after a short separation in case one party has decided they prefer to have their own patch, thank you very much!
A new larger cage unfortunately means new territory unless you kit it out and wipe it down with with their oen group scent. New territory means a hierarchy sort-out. This can lead to a fall-out even in adult boar pairs. :(

Please take the time to read these very detailed guides here; you should find them very helpful as they are very detailed and try to give the 'why' and 'what really happens' and not just an opinion. You will also learn how to spot and judge interactive key behaviours much better. Our advice in the guides is based on experiences with our own piggies as well as our forum activity of nearly 15 years with plenty of boar problems to solve along the way with thousands of piggies passing through here; I think that this gives us an insight that other people may not have.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Bonds In Trouble

Hi!

Once piggies have decided that they are not friends, you have had it. If bonding hasn't gone well before, I would not force it and rather keep them as a bonded next door pair with full interaction and stimulation through the bars.

Guinea pigs are territorial of their own little patch, whether they live as a group or constitute a group of a single member. You cannot just lift the divider and letting unbonded piggies mix - that will be seen as a invasion and both piggies will be immediately on the defensive with the risk of aggression being the best defense. You always need to introduce on neutral ground that is not part of any piggy's regular territory; ideally even bonded piggies after a short separation in case one party has decided they prefer to have their own patch, thank you very much!
A new larger cage unfortunately means new territory unless you kit it out and wipe it down with with their oen group scent. New territory means a hierarchy sort-out. This can lead to a fall-out even in adult boar pairs. :(

Please take the time to read these very detailed guides here; you should find them very helpful as they are very detailed and try to give the 'why' and 'what really happens' and not just an opinion. You will also learn how to spot and judge interactive key behaviours much better. Our advice in the guides is based on experiences with our own piggies as well as our forum activity of nearly 15 years with plenty of boar problems to solve along the way with thousands of piggies passing through here; I think that this gives us an insight that other people may not have.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Bonds In Trouble

Thank you so much, I will have a read 😊 👍

Back