• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding Help - please!

piggl

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi, after my 1 year old boar had two failed bonds overnight with older pigs, I made the decision to get a new baby boar.
I was planning to wait until the weekend but we ended up at a pets at home incidentally.

I introduced them in a neutral space and my 1 year old has been CONSISTENTLY jumping/rumble strutting and chasing the poor baby. It’s like he’s way too over excited because when not pushing the baby around/humping it or chasing it, he’s running back and forth down the cage rumble strutting.

I shouldn’t have bought a baby today, that’s my mistake but i’ve done it now and i’m not sure what to do.

I’ve posted a youtube link, please help!
bonding trouble

Last edited:
I think the babies just about had enough, he’s started raising his head and sort of half nipping.

Hi, after my 1 year old boar had two failed bonds overnight with older pigs, I made the decision to get a new baby boar.
I was planning to wait until the weekend but we ended up at a pets at home incidentally.

I introduced them in a neutral space and my 1 year old has been CONSISTENTLY jumping/rumble strutting and chasing the poor baby. It’s like he’s way too over excited because when not pushing the baby around/humping it or chasing it, he’s running back and forth down the cage rumble strutting.

I shouldn’t have bought a baby today, that’s my mistake but i’ve done it now and i’m not sure what to do.

I’ve posted a youtube link, please help!
bonding trouble

Hi

Please give the baby a refuge to escape that he cannot get into until until hormone rush is over, which can take one or two days with teenagers - it can also happen when boars are meeting sows that the gonads take over.

Please read the practical advice in our baby bonding chapter: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Hi

Please give the baby a refuge to escape that he cannot get into until until hormone rush is over, which can take one or two days with teenagers - it can also happen when boars are meeting sows that the gonads take over.

Please read the practical advice in our baby bonding chapter: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
If i put them through bar to bar interaction will his hormones calm down? Then I can reintroduce them in a day or two?

Baby now has access to a box, but i’m not totally sure if Reggie even knows he’s there, and I doubt the baby will come out of the box.

If i put them through bar to bar interaction will his hormones calm down? Then I can reintroduce them in a day or two?

Baby now has access to a box, but i’m not totally sure if Reggie even knows he’s there, and I doubt the baby will come out of the box.

His hormones should die down eventually. You have to see how the two boy react then but they will have to go through the whole bonding process again. Just leave the baby in the box and feed him close to it.

Babies new hidy hole, there is no way Reggie can get into, he’s trying to break it down by eating it but i’m hoping he shouldn’t be able to do enough damage.

He is getting frustrated though that he doesn’t have access to the baby. Will this cause his hormones to be messed up for longer?

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2
His hormones should die down eventually. You have to see how the two boy react then but they will have to go through the whole bonding process again. Just leave the baby in the box and feed him close to it.
I'm not sure the hides going to work, he’s just spending his time trying to make a way into his area. Getting more and more frustrated.

If I put a bar between them for a day or two, can he still continue his hormone spike? I don’t want to remove them just for his hormones to skyrocket again when reintroduced.

I'm not sure the hides going to work, he’s just spending his time trying to make a way into his area. Getting more and more frustrated.

If I put a bar between them for a day or two, can he still continue his hormone spike? I don’t want to remove them just for his hormones to skyrocket again when reintroduced.

It should hopefully not be quite as bad. The first time is always worst.

It should hopefully not be quite as bad. The first time is always worst.
The new introduction started around an hour ago.
Initial acceptance has happened but Reggie keeps nipping the baby.

The babies not even moving, but if Reggie gets too close to it or the baby walks past him he lunges at him. Like when they lift their heads and like headbutt each other, it’s like that but he’s doing it for no reason.

I really don’t think Reggie likes the baby. Even when he’s just minding his own business but goes near Reggie he gets nipped/lunged at.

The new introduction started around an hour ago.
Initial acceptance has happened but Reggie keeps nipping the baby.

The babies not even moving, but if Reggie gets too close to it or the baby walks past him he lunges at him. Like when they lift their heads and like headbutt each other, it’s like that but he’s doing it for no reason.

I really don’t think Reggie likes the baby. Even when he’s just minding his own business but goes near Reggie he gets nipped/lunged at.

I think that Reggie's behaviour is still very much on the fear-aggressive side. He is obviously afraid of any other piggy. :(

I think that Reggie's behaviour is still very much on the fear-aggressive side. He is obviously afraid of any other piggy. :(
That’s weird, I was just reading through all the different bonding/single pig threads and thought fear-aggressive sounds very familiar for my Reggie.

What does this mean for Reggie, and his and babies bond?

I hope he can adjust to baby. The nippings not constant, as right now he’s able to be near baby without going for him, but when I wrote my first post he was nipping him anytime baby came near.

I think Reggie needs to get used to having someone around again, especially a little baby who follows his every move.

I’m going to leave them in this pen for a couple more hours, just to be sure.
In terms of their bond, how would I know when it’s become to much for Reggie/the both of them? Or in a simple way, when the bond has failed?

That’s weird, I was just reading through all the different bonding/single pig threads and thought fear-aggressive sounds very familiar for my Reggie.

What does this mean for Reggie, and his and babies bond?

He is basically afraid and insecure and masks it with over the top behaviour. I can't predict whether they can past it or whether the little one gets too fed up with his over the top insistence on respect for his personal sphere sooner or later. At the moment, there is no real aggression in it.

He is basically afraid and insecure and masks it with over the top behaviour. I can't predict whether they can past it or whether the little one gets too fed up with his over the top insistence on respect for his personal sphere sooner or later. At the moment, there is no real aggression in it.
Thank you.

Have/do pigs get over things like this?

Their bonding cage is currently set up in the living room. If i move them to their cage upstairs which is in my bedroom (Reggie’s been in there for months, so he feels safe there), they might feel more comfortable. I wonder if that might help?

He’s on edge, which isn’t helping

I have put two very open hides in their cage and set up a camera, so they can have some "alone-time". The nipping when baby pushes past him isnt so bad, but its when Reggie approaches baby and nips anyway, is what is making me worried.

Reggies currently napping under a hide while baby is hidden under a massive pile of hay. When Reggie wakes up, can his reaction to the baby still be counted as if they had "napped together"?

I have had my first submissive squeal from baby. Its hard to not over-react and run to babies rescue, but I have read alot that unless there is an instant dislike, adult boars should not hurt babies.

I think it is a good sign that the baby has done a submissive squeak but I’m afraid that beyond that, I have no practical advise and will leave that to our bonding experts as I’ve never bonded boars before but I do hope Reggie accepts the baby. You’ve already had so much heartache 😞 I will be following this thread with interest x

Thinking of you. Hope Reggie and baby are getting to know each other. You have been through a lot these last few months. 🌻

Thank you both! <3

They have now been moved into their cage as they had a nap much closer to each other. I am facetiming myself in order to keep an eye on them though, haha. Fingers crossed 🤞

Back