• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding help

LaurenS

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pigs have now been in the same cage for 5 days and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Well just as i think they are beginning to tolerate eachother the teeth chattering and nipping will start again. Just now my neutered boar was teeth chattering and trying to nip my new female pig. Do they stand a chance at getting along? If its dominance how long before they sort it out 😩

How big is your cage? They might be fighting over territory. Are they females or males? Males tend to be more territorial therefore resulting in more space. What helped for me was every time they were close to each other I'd give them both a treat so they think positive when they are close to one another. Good luck!😃

My guinea pigs took about 2 weeks maybe a little less, but all guinea pigs are different. So give it time! Separate them if and only if there is blood. If they are ripping fur off of each other don't separate them unless it is happening constantly.

How big is your cage? They might be fighting over territory. Are they females or males? Males tend to be more territorial therefore resulting in more space. What helped for me was every time they were close to each other I'd give them both a treat so they think positive when they are close to one another. Good luck!😃
Its a neutered male and two females. One of the females is the new pig. This morning the male really threw himself at the new pig and chased her he was really angry and then he went for the other female too. It was so stressful i don’t know if it will ever get better. I threw in some hay to distract them as didn’t want to seperate as no blood but its just not looking good for them 😩. Their cage is a 5x3 c&c cage but they will live in a shed having free range (8x6ft floor plus a hutch). Do you think they will get along better once in the bigger space?

Its a neutered male and two females. One of the females is the new pig. This morning the male really threw himself at the new pig and chased her he was really angry and then he went for the other female too. It was so stressful i don’t know if it will ever get better. I threw in some hay to distract them as didn’t want to seperate as no blood but its just not looking good for them 😩. Their cage is a 5x3 c&c cage but they will live in a shed having free range (8x6ft floor plus a hutch). Do you think they will get along better once in the bigger space?

Hi!

I am very sorry, but adding a third piggy to a happily bonded pair often doesn't work out as the newbie is perceived as an intruder. A number of forum members has made this experience, including myself. :(

Please follow the tips in this guide here to work out whether you are dealing with a failed bonding: Bonds In Trouble

More information:
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Back