Bonding issues?

Sophia_Oreo108

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So a few months ago I got a new baby sow (Walnut). She now lives with 3 y.o. Fudge. At first they got on really well and I had no concerns!

Recently I have noticed Walnut (the younger one) has been rumble-strutting and telling Fudge off. Currntly Fudge is dominant but I am wondering if it because walnut wants to be dominant now she is a bit older.

Does anyone have any reasons why or anything I could do to help?
Thank you!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Teenage sows, especially those between 5-7 months, experience a hormone spike similar to boars of the same age and have very strong seasons during this time. This is not well known as it rarely leads to fall-outs. A season lasts around 15-17 hours but the hormones can be stirring in the days running up to a season.
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

If you notice symptoms of an adult sow behaving like she is in season nonstop (most typically between 2-4 years of age), then she needs to be seen by a vet for hormonal ovarian cysts.
You can find more information in our sow guide: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Please take the time to read the guide links. You should find them very helpful and informative.