• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding male guinea with a friend

AmeliaHar

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping someone will be able to help. I have a 3 year old entire male who sadly lost his brother last year. He seemed to be doing fine after, but now seems lonely and depressed. I would like to get him another friend, but unsure as to what would be best? The only problem I have is just before his brother died, they recently started fighting, so I don't want my current guinea to fight with a new one. Any tips really appreciated!

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
:wel:

It is great that you want to get your boar a friend.
Three is still quite young, and he will definitely appreciate a companion.

If you let us know roughly where you are located then people may be able to recommend places that offer services such as 'boar dating'.
Even rescues that don't offer residential boar dating, will offer full support and back up, ensuring you end up with a pair that has the greatest chance of success.

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss! It can be that the illness has caused a shift in the power and a grab for leadership that has not gone down too well. :(

The best way of finding a character compatible mate of your boy's liking is by rescue dating. Another option, if you have access to a good operating vet is neutering in order to pair your boy up with a younger sow or two after a 6 weeks post op wait. Cross gender bondings rely on initial acceptance (which in sub-adult sows is very high) but they are the most stable of all bondings.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths And Facts
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Can you get as far as Chelmsford, which is your closest rescue?
Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

Back