• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding neutered boar and sow

JayfeathersPets

New Born Pup
Reaction score
In a week I will be bonding my neutered boar with my lone sow. I was wondering on how to do so. This is the first time I’ve ever bonded piggies. I don’t know if this is relevant, but my sow hasn’t had a friend for months. The boar is 13 months old and the sow is 10 months. Thank you in advanced!

I’m not familiar with male and female bonding attempts, but always have your hand wrapped in a towel or oven mitt, so if any potential fighting happens your instinct to stick your hand in between two pairs of teeth doesn’t result in you getting bitten. Now, keep in mind this happens usually with two male bonding attempts that don’t go well.

Thank you. I’m bonding a neutered Male (Boar) and a Female (sow).

In a week I will be bonding my neutered boar with my lone sow. I was wondering on how to do so. This is the first time I’ve ever bonded piggies. I don’t know if this is relevant, but my sow hasn’t had a friend for months. The boar is 13 months old and the sow is 10 months. Thank you in advanced!

Hi and welcome

Please carefully read our very comprehensive and detailed bonding guide, which looks at all stages and aspects of the whole process from the run up until the end of the dominance phase some weeks after the intro. Apart from a look at dynamics and key behaviours at any stage of the complex process, it also has a chapter on mixed gender bondings.

Please give your new pair some time next to each other with a divider so they can get used to each other and get over the first overexcitement before the bonding. Teenage boars can be a bit relentless while ex-single sows can show their insecurity with over the top dominance behaviour at first (fear-aggression; see the relevant chapter).

What you have in your favour is that at this age, you have their biological instincts fully on your side. Please don't rush it and give them time to become more comfortable with their presence and interaction before you stage the full intro.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Hi! Thank you for the guide. I think it can be helpful. I am in the same situation myself at the moment. I have my male pig and I am trying to bond him with my female neutered( My girlfriend pig). At the begging, I thought it will never work, and that my make pig started losing weight due to the stress. Two weeks later the situation is much more relaxed. I still don't leave them alone together when we are at work.

Hi! Thank you for the guide. I think it can be helpful. I am in the same situation myself at the moment. I have my male pig and I am trying to bond him with my female neutered( My girlfriend pig). At the begging, I thought it will never work, and that my make pig started losing weight due to the stress. Two weeks later the situation is much more relaxed. I still don't leave them alone together when we are at work.

Please take the plunge and leave them together. Acceptance has long since happened and what you are see now is just the constantly disrupted and therefore more aggravated dominance phase.

Once you have committed, you have to see it through; otherwise your meddling becomes countrerproductive and your piggies have to bond despite you and not because of you. You have to learn to trust them. They are over the rough bit now anyway!
Let them sort out their life together in peace now. It will calm down even more quickly!

Once piggies have been introduced to each other, you shouldn’t continually separate them when you’re at work. They either need to permanently live together or not. Separating and reintroducing causes stress to them.

Okay, will do. I am always panicking when leaving them together unsupervised but they seem to get along just fine ATM. Maybe I should film them so I can keep an eye on them from work LOL

Okay, will do. I am always panicking when leaving them together unsupervised but they seem to get along just fine ATM. Maybe I should film them so I can keep an eye on them from work LOL
You need to decide whether they’re to be together or not. There’s no half way. Either all or nothing. Your boy will be fine, just leave them to it and enjoy the bond they have.

Back