Bonding neutered boys?

OkiDoki

New Born Pup
Reaction score
At the moment I have 2 neutered boys and 1 girl staying with me, can be a few months or up to a year before they can return to their owner. One boy is in a cage with the girl, the other one is alone for now, as the girl he was with died a few weeks ago (before they were here - I got them yesterday).
Since I don't like piggies being alone, I was thinking of two solutions:
- try to bond the boys and put the girl in with my own herd. The piggies' owner tried to bond the boys a few weeks ago, but wasn't successful. Is it a good idea to wait a few weeks until the boys have settled and then try again, taking a lot of time? Or should I go for option 2:
- get the lonely boy a female friend asap, which can either go home with the owner when they go back or join my herd.

For me it's not an option to put one of my girls with the neutered boy, as I really don't want to break up my herd.

Hope you have some advice for me!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If the girl is going home then it wouldn’t be a good idea to bond her with your herd. Neither would it be good to bond one of your girls with the boy either. If they’re not going to stay together permanently then don’t mix them.

I would leave the bonded sow and boar together and just house the lone boar alongside them for company. You shouldn’t break up a bonded pair. Then you can go about finding him a friend.

Out of curiosity what happened when they tried to bond the boars? It’s difficult for them to go back to what is essentially a bachelor life once they’ve lived with a sow.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr: Leave the bonded two together and he single on his own. I wouldn’t go messing about with existing bonds and as siikibam has said once a boar has been with a sow, it’s tricky for the boar to live with another boar in the future - the single boar is likely to need to find his own new sow

OkiDoki

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what happened when they tried to bond the boars?
I don't know the details. If I remember correctly, the one that's currently with the sow was being very macho, while the other one completely panicked. The owner didn't have more time then to see if they would settle.