Jon880
Junior Guinea Pig
As I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I've recently lost two members of what had been a three-pig herd up until July.
I'm left with a single two-year old sow, Sandie, and I'm desperately keen to find a companion for her ASAP. However, we've now owned four guinea pigs since 2021 and my wife is keen to end the guinea pig cycle sooner rather than later, especially as our kids are getting older and our family life is changing.
My local rescue (Suzy at GGPR) has some younger piggies available, although my first preference would be to try to bond Sandie with a sow or neutered boar of similar age.
Does anyone have any experience of managing a herd towards a future end point? Did you select pigs specifically with a view to having two or more of similar age who could grow old together? What strategies did you use to get off the merry-go-round of constantly bringing in new guinea pigs?
I guess at some stage we'll be left with a single bereaved piggie, and I hate the thought of them passing away through loneliness or being sent off somewhere strange and unfamiliar in their later years, in the uncertain hope of finding a new friend elsewhere.
I'm left with a single two-year old sow, Sandie, and I'm desperately keen to find a companion for her ASAP. However, we've now owned four guinea pigs since 2021 and my wife is keen to end the guinea pig cycle sooner rather than later, especially as our kids are getting older and our family life is changing.
My local rescue (Suzy at GGPR) has some younger piggies available, although my first preference would be to try to bond Sandie with a sow or neutered boar of similar age.
Does anyone have any experience of managing a herd towards a future end point? Did you select pigs specifically with a view to having two or more of similar age who could grow old together? What strategies did you use to get off the merry-go-round of constantly bringing in new guinea pigs?
I guess at some stage we'll be left with a single bereaved piggie, and I hate the thought of them passing away through loneliness or being sent off somewhere strange and unfamiliar in their later years, in the uncertain hope of finding a new friend elsewhere.