Bonding seems to be going well

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I thought I would post a brief update about how our two sow pairs are getting along. Since the young pair arrived on Saturday eve, they have been sharing a split enclosure, with lots of interactions through the bars. There's been lots of nose to nose sniffing, nose to passing bum sniffing, attempts at pinching foods, and one of each pair have often been found lying close to each other with the fence dividing them. I read that this is often a dominance act, rather than a friendly act, but I still hope it's a good thing, as they are acknowledging each other. The young ones have been very vocal whenever they hear anyone close by, which wakes the older pair, who join in with excitement, and all join together at the front of the enclosure for attention and a treat of some kind ;-) I feel that the oldest girl may have been keeping her distance for the first day or two, but now seems quite at ease by the bars, not paying much attention to the young sows, but not seeming bothered by them either. I'm hoping these are all good signs that there is hope that introductions will go well.
I have reread the bonding and interactions guide, but wondering at what point would be best to do introductions in a neutral place? Should I wait for certain signs that point to them being ready to meet properly? We're in no big rush to introduce, as wish to give them the best chance we can of it working out, but just wondering at what point is best? Thanks :-)80254161_10156983206367610_7412211117759170539_o-1.jpg106694195_10156980453232610_8182112295528290021_n.jpg107799110_10156987148922610_670805582591624949_n-1.jpg107826355_10156987148697610_6202793786038837166_n-1.jpg

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I would post a brief update about how our two sow pairs are getting along. Since the young pair arrived on Saturday eve, they have been sharing a split enclosure, with lots of interactions through the bars. There's been lots of nose to nose sniffing, nose to passing bum sniffing, attempts at pinching foods, and one of each pair have often been found lying close to each other with the fence dividing them. I read that this is often a dominance act, rather than a friendly act, but I still hope it's a good thing, as they are acknowledging each other. The young ones have been very vocal whenever they hear anyone close by, which wakes the older pair, who join in with excitement, and all join together at the front of the enclosure for attention and a treat of some kind ;-) I feel that the oldest girl may have been keeping her distance for the first day or two, but now seems quite at ease by the bars, not paying much attention to the young sows, but not seeming bothered by them either. I'm hoping these are all good signs that there is hope that introductions will go well.
I have reread the bonding and interactions guide, but wondering at what point would be best to do introductions in a neutral place? Should I wait for certain signs that point to them being ready to meet properly? We're in no big rush to introduce, as wish to give them the best chance we can of it working out, but just wondering at what point is best? Thanks :-)View attachment 147552View attachment 147553View attachment 147554View attachment 147555
I would think that you are ready to stage intros whenever you have a full day or two for observation. Please don't make the mistake to transfer your piggies to their ultimate cage too early. It pays to let them work out the rough bit of the hierarchy establishment and dominance in the bonding cage (even if it means an overnight stay in there) so they move as a bonded and roughly established group. Dominance will happen in rounds with period of rest in between. Ideally you also see some exchanges that confirm the willingness to be friends during these rest phases despite the dominance being hammered our from the top down.
All depends on whether the leader of the youngs pair is happy to fit lower into the new hierarchy than her previous standing or not.

If tensions are very high and remain very high without there being constructive progress, separate and try again on the following day whether the girls can come to an agreement or agree to disagree after tempers had the night to cool down.

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would think that you are ready to stage intros whenever you have a full day or two for observation. Please don't make the mistake to transfer your piggies to their ultimate cage too early. It pays to let them work out the rough bit of the hierarchy establishment and dominance in the bonding cage (even if it means an overnight stay in there) so they move as a bonded and roughly established group. Dominance will happen in rounds with period of rest in between. Ideally you also see some exchanges that confirm the willingness to be friends during these rest phases despite the dominance being hammered our from the top down.
All depends on whether the leader of the youngs pair is happy to fit lower into the new hierarchy than her previous standing or not.

If tensions are very high and remain very high without there being constructive progress, separate and try again on the following day whether the girls can come to an agreement or agree to disagree after tempers had the night to cool down.
Thanks, that's very helpful 😊 Will consider starting at the weekend perhaps. It sounds such a difficult process for inexperienced owners, so I'm trying my hardest to read and watch as much as I can about it, and ask lots of questions, to give them the best chance. Thanks again 😊