• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding Two Boars - Advice Needed!

Zelsi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of bonding two boars and seem some advice. I have read the advice threads.

Monty is the brindle and white fluffy pig, he's about 2.5 years old. Simba is the blonde smaller piggy who is about 10-12 months old.

They have been doing this for the past 2 hours or so:

This all seems normal to me, I haven't separated or intervened as there has been no fighting - just a LOT of dominant behaviour. (Chasing, chattering, mounting, nose-offs, squeaking etc.)

Can someone tell me if this is all okay, how long do I wait, is it not going to work out (because they are still arguing) etc.

It looks normal to me, too. Just wait until the two have had a nap together and are still OK afterwards.

It looks normal to me, too. Just wait until the two have had a nap together and are still OK afterwards.

Monty has lied down next to Simba and napped briefly a few times, Simba hasn't been able to rest at all yet. They are still running around chasing and mounting but I haven't had to intervene. It seems clear to me that Simba is being very submissive and letting Monty dominate him, I am just not sure how long to wait or if I should be worried? They have hay and water.

Monty has lied down next to Simba and napped briefly a few times, Simba hasn't been able to rest at all yet. They are still running around chasing and mounting but I haven't had to intervene. It seems clear to me that Simba is being very submissive and letting Monty dominate him, I am just not sure how long to wait or if I should be worried? They have hay and water.

You should not be worried, but make sure that both boys have totally settled down an are comfy together before you make any move. You can leave them in the bonding pen overnight if necessary and only transfer them to their cage tomorrow when you have more time to observe them. it pays not to rush this phase.

You should not be worried, but make sure that both boys have totally settled down an are comfy together before you make any move. You can leave them in the bonding pen overnight if necessary and only transfer them to their cage tomorrow when you have more time to observe them. it pays not to rush this phase.

Thank you! I took your advice and I left them over night. Today they are a lot calmer, still a little bit of dominance but they are sharing food, sleeping close together and there are no signs of fighting or hurting each other.

Being patient and giving them extra time was definitely the right call. I am going to move them to the cage soon (disinfected and with 2 of everything, no toys for now!) and I hope they carry on bonding successfully over the weekend.

Thank you! I took your advice and I left them over night. Today they are a lot calmer, still a little bit of dominance but they are sharing food, sleeping close together and there are no signs of fighting or hurting each other.

Being patient and giving them extra time was definitely the right call. I am going to move them to the cage soon (disinfected and with 2 of everything, no toys for now!) and I hope they carry on bonding successfully over the weekend.

The dominance phase lasts on average around 2 weeks. If you wish, you can run a soft rag over both boys and then run it over the new furnishings now that their scent has mingled, so their new territory smells 'right' when you move them in. There is going to be a bit more dominance, but they have bonded now. With boars, bonding is thankfully a lot more straight forward than sows even if it can be a bit more hair raising.

Leave out any hideys with just one exit until things have settled down.

The dominance phase lasts on average around 2 weeks. If you wish, you can run a soft rag over both boys and then run it over the new furnishings now that their scent has mingled, so their new territory smells 'right' when you move them in. There is going to be a bit more dominance, but they have bonded now. With boars, bonding is thankfully a lot more straight forward than sows even if it can be a bit more hair raising.

Leave out any hideys with just one exit until things have settled down.

This is the set up for now. 2 bottles and 2 bowels (same as what was in the bonding cage, not cleaned). The cage was cleaned thoroughly and just has hay and newspaper.

I'm leaving toys out at the moment to avoid any arguing. They seem okay, Simba is very timid but Monty will sleep next to him and occasionally mounts him a bit but I think if they made it this far then (fingers crossed) all is well!

20171125_171038.jpg

This is the set up for now. 2 bottles and 2 bowels (same as what was in the bonding cage, not cleaned). The cage was cleaned thoroughly and just has hay and newspaper.

I'm leaving toys out at the moment to avoid any arguing. They seem okay, Simba is very timid but Monty will sleep next to him and occasionally mounts him a bit but I think if they made it this far then (fingers crossed) all is well!

View attachment 75547

It sounds very good! :tu:

It seems to me that they are just getting used to each other's company and scent.this is quite common so i think there's nothing to worry about xx keep us updated! Xx :P:love:

Back