Bonding two sow pairs

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I thought I'd make a thread for hopefully the bonding of my two sow pairs. I have never bonded two pairs only ever two single pigs together and although I feel I know the general behaviour of piggy bonding quite well, but obviously the dynamics are different in a group. Currently I'm doing the split cage method and going to allow them to spend some time together with the protection g the division. There's lots of reassuring behaviour with all of them grooming and laying down at various times. I'm full aware things could change when the barrier is taken away.

Literally as I just typed this^^ a big teeth chatter and rumble match took place between the lot of them, more hay has now been thrown in as a distraction 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

I'd really appreciate any advice when I comes to bonding pairs, they will be staying in the divided pen for a while yet😊

Also any tips on holding your nerve? I'm full aware some bonding behaviours can look pretty bad and I know the rule is to not stop unless blood is drawn, but there's obviously that instinct to not want any of them to get hurt.

Thanks everyone ☺ (@Merab's Slave here is the thread for fhe bonding, thanks for the support so far with it)

Attachments

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Are you planning to remove the divider and do the bonding there? I would say that may not be a good idea because they’ve already ‘marked’ their territory. It needs to be completely neutral - no smells from any of them. Have a read of the guide on bonds in trouble to know what the signs of dysfunctional bonding may be. It’s different with girls as they’re not the fighting type I think.

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Are you planning to remove the divider and do the bonding there? I would say that may not be a good idea because they’ve already ‘marked’ their territory. It needs to be completely neutral - no smells from any of them. Have a read of the guide on bonds in trouble to know what the signs of dysfunctional bonding may be. It’s different with girls as they’re not the fighting type I think.
That was my plan, I read that they should have preparatory time together in a divided environment, this gets them used to one another but in a safe way. There are other spaces I can take them though so moving to a new neutral territory isn't a worry. Thank you I'll take a look!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
the divided preparation time is absolutely fine but simply removing the divider and letting them mingle in what is now each others territory would not work. When it comes to actually doing the bonding, remove them from the cages and put them somewhere else, completely neutral for them to meet and bond

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Have they been living alongside each other already? If so then there’s no need to do the divider before bonding.

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
the divided preparation time is absolutely fine but simply removing the divider and letting them mingle in what is now each others territory would not work. When it comes to actually doing the bonding, remove them from the cages and put them somewhere else, completely neutral for them to meet and bond
Okay that's fine I can do that, thank you :)

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have they been living alongside each other already? If so then there’s no need to do the divider before bonding.
No they haven't, one pair is under the table and the other is on top of it, they obviously have heard one another this way but not seen one another hence why I thought the divided pen would be beneficial 😊

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Okay that’s fine then. Give them maybe some days and then try the bonding. Just be aware that lying next to the divider is territory marking and not necessarily a positive sign! Complicated creatures eh 😁

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The girls in bonded pairs have actually started squabbling with one another (totally irrespective of what the opposing pair is doing)
I don't want to risk the strong bonds they have as pairs collapsing and so I am actually going to stop the process. If they're acting like way without them even all being together I doubt it will go very smoothly when placed together. They've done it a couple of times now too. Although the intention was to have four of them together so I don't face having a lone piggy when ultimately one goes. I'll have to cross that bridge when it comes. Thanks anyway guys for your suggestions.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sorry that tensions have arisen. Hopefully once back to their own comfort zones they’ll all be okay.

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry that tensions have arisen. Hopefully once back to their own comfort zones they’ll all be okay.
They settled down instantly in their own cages. I tried to not get my hopes up at having a herd but it appears I did, feeling slightly deflated but they're very happy in their pairs I don't want to risk that

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I think you made a good decision there.
Sorry things didn’t work out but you do still have 2 stable pairs which is most important.

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think you made a good decision there.
Sorry things didn’t work out but you do still have 2 stable pairs which is most important.
Surprisingly is was Laine the most placid of all my girls to instigate it against her paired girl Lois, most likely out of fear :( and then that's started Misty and Willow having a go at each other 🤦🏻‍♀️ Maybe I'll have a herd one day but I've accepted it won't be with these girls, their happiness is priority 😊Thank you for your support anyway :)