• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding unneutered adult boars

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxthepig

What are the chances of getting two un-neutered adult males to live together? (Say, 3 years old?)

I know its unlikely, but do you think it's worth a (supervised) attempt on neutral territory, or a complete no no?

thanks x

It depends very much on the pigs characters and factors in their past. If they have always lived alone, been used for breeding or had a fight or run in with other pigs the chances are low. If they have previously been part of a pair and then bereaved there is more chance.

Some boars are very placid and will bond easily while others just won't have any of it.

www.barmy4boars.co.uk has great information on bonding.

thank you, I had forgotten about barmyforboars, will go and have a look.

Let me know if you want a hand, I have had sucess in all but 1 attempts (and the one was involving a baby and an adult, not an adult and adult) so fingers crossed it will work out for you too.

yes there is hope but as already stated its the pigs characters and what they have been use to, at one time i was called a lier for keeping boars together, but its changing slightly where as they dont say never anymore its all about characters now and some boars form very close bonds to another male pig when all the odds were stacked against them, watch and observe and be ready for any fights little moans or rumbles are fine thats all part of it, but anything more is a no, all my boys except 2 are togther even ones i had thought was a never no way no chance, the 2 alone are hopefully one day going to find their perfect cage mate I never give up for good good luck but be alert, let them run around together give them 2 bowls 2 water bottles and plenty of hidey places lessening the chance of a dispute,

I keep boars in pairs whenever I can. Sometimes you get the odd boar who prefers his own company and lives alone. At one point I had 3 adult boars living happily together.

Kat

thanks guys, thats come as a pleasant suprise.

I dont know if I'll be having these pigs in yet, but if I do I'll certainly give it a go. Fingers crossed...will probably end up asking you for advice if thats ok barmy4boars :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back