Bonding

Rjthomas

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum, but need some advise, I have Two bonded 3 month old sows that live together, I have had them since they were 4 weeks Old however I’m looking at getting 2 more young sows to add to them so then I have 4. Can I add 2 Bonded sows to Another bonded pair and what’s the best way to do it .
thanks in advance.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum, but need some advise, I have Two bonded 3 month old sows that live together, I have had them since they were 4 weeks Old however I’m looking at getting 2 more young sows to add to them so then I have 4. Can I add 2 Bonded sows to Another bonded pair and what’s the best way to do it .
thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome

Great that you are doing your research!

Yes, in principle you can do this. Sows are wired to live in small core groups with a boar of their choice. However, you have to take into consideration that unless you can rescue date your pair at a good welfare standard rescue with mandatory quarantine/vet care and a pregnancy watch to ensure that the two leaders get on before you bring home the new pair, you will have to have a plan B at the ready in case the two pairs don't gel (i.e. being able to split your set-up into two pens. Any bond is based on mutual liking and character compatibility and there is nothing you can do get around that bottom line.

When merging pairs the biggest issue is that one of the leaders will have to step down; this doesn't always happen. Some piggies can also react with fear-aggression when faced with competition they don't feel they can handle. I have so often experienced that what looks perfect on paper went down like a lead balloon when the piggies came face to face.

Please take the time to carefully read our bonding and sow guides; the bonding guide is very comprehensive and takes you in detail through all the stages of the bonding process with its attendant behaviours and possible dynamics from the run up to the end of the post-intro dominance phase about 2 weeks after the bonding until the group is fully established. The sow guide also deals with the typical dominance behaviours in sows.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Rescue Locator (Recommended rescues outside the UK can be found via the link below the map)

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
:agr: With Wiebke. Technically it is possible. But it depends upon the nature of the sows concerned, as in at least one pair, one would have to surrender her top sow status and accept a lower ranking position.