• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boris's Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggiewiggie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I thought Boris had a milky eye yesterday but today its a bit stuck together, I have wiped it with a damp tissue gently so it was open again, but now its slanty with gunge again. And it smells a bit like fish.
A trip to the vets?
Thank you x

piggiewiggie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks,
I cant get him an appointment today, theres none available. grrr!
Will he be ok till tomo morning and also shall I keep bathing it?
Thanks x

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
excuse the pun but keep an eye on him. I think i would keep bathing him. If it gets any worse you can always ring the vet even out of hours and discuss it.

Poor Boris :(

piggiewiggie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you, you've put my miind at ease :) hugs. Poor baby Boris.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I would try to gently wash it out with saline solution until you can be seen by a vet and give him a bit of pain relief.

Either something is stuck under his lid and/or something has injured the surface and caused an infection. Thankfully, eye infections tend to clear off as quickly as they come on, but they should always be seen by a vet as soon as you can get an appointment!

Saline solution you make thus: boil 1 pint of water, add 1 tsp of salt, stir and let cool. then it's ready for use. As stop gap pain killer you can use children's nurofen from pharmacy, 0.2 ml for an adult piggy up to twice daily.

piggiewiggie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you so much Wiebke! Big hugs to you from Boris!
We'll do that, then I will get on the phone at 8:30am.
xxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.