Boys not getting on!

Daffy C

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently rescued 3 boars and I am worried about how they all get on. One of them seems to always be on his own and often gets kicked out of their houses with lots of squealing. I hoped they would settle down, but sadly it looks like he has a couple of injuries on his rear (bald spots/marks). They have loads of space and plenty of areas to separate, but things don’t seem to be improving. These are my first guinea pigs, so I’d really appreciate any help/advice. If I have to separate them, do I remove the bully or the victim?!? And then would that one be ok on their own?
Many thanks in advance

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes its bad that a rescue allowed you to rehome a boar trio. The chances of a trio working out are incredibly low.

Sadly, three boars together usually ends in failure, fights and separations. Boars do much better in pairs. The space needed to even attempt a trio is huge (about three square metres) but as character compatibility comes first, if you don’t have compatibility (which is hard to get right in a trio), then no amount of space is going to help.

As one seems to be already be bullied, injuries have occurred, then it is highly unlikely to ever get better and our advice would be to separate them Immediately.

You need to keep the two who get on best together and separate one out. The two cages will need to be next to each other to enable interaction through the bars to prevent loneliness. The single piggy will be ok on his own as he isn’t completely alone.
of course the long term would be better if he had a friend of his own, but you need to go about getting him a character compatible friend the right way, via rescue centre dating.

ensure the remaining pair have a big enough cage - that is a 6ft x 2ft cage for two boars. Any less and space can be an issue.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s so sad when separations have to happen, but a trio (even a sow trio) can have problems as there is always the risk of an outsider situation occurring but its much more likely to occur and end in problems with boars - they just don’t function well as a trio (we don’t see many working trios on the forum). You will see the bullied piggy perk right up when they are removed from the situation.